Feb 26, 2011, 9:57 AM EDT
“A lot of nerves,” Lee said. “I’ve never had surgery. I didn’t know how it was going to respond. I was a little anxious about it. I got a lot of work to do, but it’s a good first step.”
Lee initially planned to take some swings today if he felt well enough, but Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports this morning that he’ll take the day off because his surgically-repaired thumb felt “a little bit tender.” The veteran first baseman downplayed the situation, saying that it was “probably as expected” and that they were simply being “overly cautious.” He’ll try to take batting practice again tomorrow.
As for when Lee will make his first appearance in an exhibition game, Orioles manager Buck Showalter has already ruled him out for the first week of the Grapefruit League schedule.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)