Feb 26, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland told Jason Beck of MLB.com earlier today that Miguel Cabrera won’t be in the lineup tomorrow against the Blue Jays, but could make his spring training debut Monday against the Yankees.
“Monday’s more of a possibility [than Sunday],” Leyland said, “but I’m not sure about Monday either.”
Cabrera didn’t make the trip for today’s exhibition opener against the Blue Jays, as he stayed back to work with hitting coach Lloyd McClendon. Leyland wants him to get his legs in shape before he appears in a game.
One interesting note passed along by Beck earlier this morning is that Cabrera reported to spring training weighing 270 pounds, 30 pounds more than he was listed in the team’s media guide last season. However, Cabrera’s personal trainer downplayed any concerns about his physical conditioning in light of his recent DWI, saying that his body fat is down and that number is right around or slightly under where he was before he reported to spring training last year.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)