Feb 26, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
Tigers manager Jim Leyland told Jason Beck of MLB.com earlier today that Miguel Cabrera won’t be in the lineup tomorrow against the Blue Jays, but could make his spring training debut Monday against the Yankees.
“Monday’s more of a possibility [than Sunday],” Leyland said, “but I’m not sure about Monday either.”
Cabrera didn’t make the trip for today’s exhibition opener against the Blue Jays, as he stayed back to work with hitting coach Lloyd McClendon. Leyland wants him to get his legs in shape before he appears in a game.
One interesting note passed along by Beck earlier this morning is that Cabrera reported to spring training weighing 270 pounds, 30 pounds more than he was listed in the team’s media guide last season. However, Cabrera’s personal trainer downplayed any concerns about his physical conditioning in light of his recent DWI, saying that his body fat is down and that number is right around or slightly under where he was before he reported to spring training last year.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (97)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)