Feb 26, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Excuse me while I file this under most predictable trade rumor of all-time (via Bob Nightengale of USA Today):
The Yankees are keeping a close eye on Twins starter Francisco Liriano, while Twins are keeping tabs on Yanks prospects.
The trade winds began to blow earlier this month, when Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune wrote that the Twins don’t plan to sign Liriano to a long-term deal and that they were open to exploring a trade. Speculation about the Yankees began almost immediately following Christensen’s report, so to hear that they have legitimate interest in the 27-year-old left-hander shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.
While I can’t quite wrap my head around why the Twins would want to trade Liriano, who remains under team control through 2012, I wouldn’t blame them for looking for the best possible deal. Still, it would sting to see Liriano dealt to a team that has swept the Twins in consecutive postseasons.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 59
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)