Scenes from Spring Training: A decision to make

Feb 26, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT

Sunrise Cactus

Not that there is anything on the planet truly worth complaining about down here in Arizona — life is grand, and don’t think for a moment I have forgotten that — but I do face a bit of a conundrum this morning.  Here’s the entire Cactus League schedule for the day:

• Rockies vs. Diamondbacks 1:10, Salt River Fields
  • Dodgers vs. Angels, 1:05, Tempe Diablo Stadium
  • Dodgers vs. Giants, 1:05, Scottsdale Stadium

I wouldn’t mind actually watching the Rockies, but I really don’t think I can take a third straight day of the Dbacks.  I do want to see the Dodgers when I’m here. But I was with the Giants at Scottsdale Stadium yesterday, and given that Tempe Diablo Stadium is literally right next to my hotel — like, if walking places was’t a Class A felony in the State of Arizona I could totally hoof it over there — I should probably see the Dodgers-Angels thing.

The only reservation I have is that I tend to think that in doing so I’ll be getting the short end of the Dodgers’ split squad.  Mattingly and his bench coach Trey Hillman will be in Scottsdale.  The group facing the Angels will be run by Albuquerque manager Lorenzo Bundy.  On the bright side, Davey Lopes will be with him, and maybe he’ll go crazy and let everyone steal.

As far as players go, Hiroki Kuroda will pitch here in Tempe, and that’s better than Tim Redding vs. the Giants.  Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will be here too. Casey Blake, Rafael Furcal and Juan Uribe won’t be in either place because they’re veterans and it’s Saturday and veterans don’t get on buses on Saturday, even in the Cactus League. Frankly, I think this all boils down to the Angels. They’re home and it’s their first day, so they’ll probably have way more starters playing than any of the teams involved.

That cuts it: I’m going down the hill to Tempe Diablo Stadium this morning. And I’m going to walk. I expect the police and several county-employed mental health experts to intercept me on the way, wondering what has gotten into me.

Dispatches from the Dodgers-Angels later today, my friends.

1. bloodysock - Feb 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Rockies-DBacks game is the opening of their new spring training home and the place is sold out. You’d rather take in a split squad game at a half empty Tempe Diablo?

2. Old Gator - Feb 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Gee, Craig, it was really great working through that with you. Most of my patients walk out of here just as confused as they were when they walked in, only $175 poorer. I just wish you wouldn’t cathect so hard. You splattered your syzygy all over my new tie.

3. Loren - Feb 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hey, I’ll be at the Angels game today! (surprise spring training trip set up by the best wife in the world). Beers are on me if you want to venture out of the press box. Seriously, I’d love to chat. Section 13, row C, seats 3-6

4. spudchukar - Feb 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM

You want sympathy for your game choice conundrum? Should I drive the Mercedes or the Porsche? Maker’s Mark Twelve Year Old or Cazadores Reposado? Would you prefer to be seated inside or outside senor? It is 15 frickin’ degrees here and the snow is blowing sideways and all I have are boxscores. Have a heart.

• Old Gator - Feb 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM

How sad. It’s 83 sunny dry degrees here in Macondo, I’m worried about the ice in my pina colada, and I just picked a nice ripe juicy carambola from the adjacent tree while I dry off from a little dip in the pool. Don’t worry, though. The north is arranging to pay a handsome ransom for summertime, and as soon as the check clears my account I’ll be happy to release it to you.

Oh, look – there goes a hot Latina babe in a very short sun dress…..

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Old Gator; You a bad man, tease the spud so. Can’t you see he sufferin’? Uh..how short was that dress?

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Do you know where the abductor magnus muscle is? Short, I said.

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Hell yes I do know that little slice of heaven. In this weather we are enjoying it’ll be months before I see any ab-mag round these parts. Fact is I’d be happy with some gastrocnemius right now.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM

You in Toronto? Keep your ears peeled. Soon as it warms up and I get wind of a Cowboy Junkies gig on their home turf, I’ll take a trip on up there and endure a Molson’s Non Alcoholic with you.

Or was that a multi-layered contradiction in terms?

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I’m in Tropical Alberta (Calgary @ the moment). Might have a better shot at the Tragically Hip than the Junkies. Margot (speaking of an ab-mag I’d like to see) and crew may have settled down from the touring a bit, alas. I’ll keep you posted. I may find myself in Florida for a golf vacation if I play my cards right. Who knows? Maybe the Big City Blues will be doing something.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

There’s no “t” in Margo Timmins’ name, but you just reminded me of a great Jean Harlow story. She was introduced, while visibly marinated, to Lady Margot Asquith at a reception once, and chirruped, “Oh MargoT (pronouncing the “t”), it’s so nice to meet you. “No dear,” Lady Asquith sneered, “It’s Mar-GO. The “t” is silent, as in Harlow.”

Yes, the Junkies claim to have settled down for a year so they can finish up their epic “Nomad” tetralogy (the latest of which, Demons, is a killer). However, they also say they’ll be doing odd concerts on and off all year as opposed to long concert tours. I saw them twice in New York at City Winery two weeks ago. Both shows sold out, and the second one a stone monster of a show. And as far as her ab-mags, at 50 they beat most 23-year olds heels down. And that voice….ohhhhhhh…..

• cur68 - Feb 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Jean Harlow…where did i see that name recently? Ah -ha! Just remembered. Check out the post about Jaun “The Beaver” Pierre. When you research the Tracey r. Hepburn quote (it was Pat & Mike BTW), you come to the page that has the famous quote (featuring a half naked Penelope Cruz), just below that is a WONDEROUS shot of Miss Harlow from The Outlaw. The link;

remember, go PAST Cruz…

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Not much grey matter left on me, but what’s there is hanging on for dear life. Yeah, Pat and Mike. Sigh. If I’m scrambling my Tracy and Hepburn, I need to up my algal DHA.

As for confusing Jean Harlow with Jane Russell, well, you’re about ready for Aricept by injection, bubba. That’s probably a good seven inches off, you know?

Compare the aforementioned “Outlaw” pics to this: http://www.lisaburks.com/jeanharlow/photos/nudes/html/nude04.html

5. apbaguy - Feb 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

See the Giants. How does Miggy look in the field? Is Panda hitting the ball solidly? These are all important questions, until the A’s schedule starts. Then you can park yourself over at the Green and Gold facility and have a good long nap.

6. cur68 - Feb 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Ha, ha, Busted. Yeah, that’s Russell, an epic lass from back in the day, to be sure. My bad, where shall I put my face? Still, a great shot and worth the inaccuracy. Re. Harlow; bubba likes brunettes but he’d switch for that, yes he would.

• Old Gator - Feb 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Epic is da woid, in the era before implants too. One hunnert percent USDA cherce grass fed, and not a speck of silicone. I wonder if they swelled up at altitude.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4614)