Feb 26, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
Not that there is anything on the planet truly worth complaining about down here in Arizona — life is grand, and don’t think for a moment I have forgotten that — but I do face a bit of a conundrum this morning. Here’s the entire Cactus League schedule for the day:
- Rockies vs. Diamondbacks 1:10, Salt River Fields
- Dodgers vs. Angels, 1:05, Tempe Diablo Stadium
- Dodgers vs. Giants, 1:05, Scottsdale Stadium
I wouldn’t mind actually watching the Rockies, but I really don’t think I can take a third straight day of the Dbacks. I do want to see the Dodgers when I’m here. But I was with the Giants at Scottsdale Stadium yesterday, and given that Tempe Diablo Stadium is literally right next to my hotel — like, if walking places was’t a Class A felony in the State of Arizona I could totally hoof it over there — I should probably see the Dodgers-Angels thing.
The only reservation I have is that I tend to think that in doing so I’ll be getting the short end of the Dodgers’ split squad. Mattingly and his bench coach Trey Hillman will be in Scottsdale. The group facing the Angels will be run by Albuquerque manager Lorenzo Bundy. On the bright side, Davey Lopes will be with him, and maybe he’ll go crazy and let everyone steal.
As far as players go, Hiroki Kuroda will pitch here in Tempe, and that’s better than Tim Redding vs. the Giants. Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will be here too. Casey Blake, Rafael Furcal and Juan Uribe won’t be in either place because they’re veterans and it’s Saturday and veterans don’t get on buses on Saturday, even in the Cactus League. Frankly, I think this all boils down to the Angels. They’re home and it’s their first day, so they’ll probably have way more starters playing than any of the teams involved.
That cuts it: I’m going down the hill to Tempe Diablo Stadium this morning. And I’m going to walk. I expect the police and several county-employed mental health experts to intercept me on the way, wondering what has gotten into me.
Dispatches from the Dodgers-Angels later today, my friends.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)