Feb 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EST
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Indians have reached agreement with Chad Durbin on a one-year contract, pending a physical. He’ll make a guaranteed salary of $800,000 with the chance for $1 million more in performance-based incentives.
Durbin was reportedly considering a return to Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee earlier this week if he didn’t receive a major league offer. He probably could have made a contending team out of spring training, but the Indians will give him the job security he desires.
The 33-year-old right-hander has compiled a 3.62 ERA over 226 innings in the past three seasons in Philadelphia, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio across 68 2/3 innings last year.
Durbin is projected to set-up for young closer Chris Perez, but look for him to be a popular trade target around the deadline.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)