Feb 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Indians have reached agreement with Chad Durbin on a one-year contract, pending a physical. He’ll make a guaranteed salary of $800,000 with the chance for $1 million more in performance-based incentives.
Durbin was reportedly considering a return to Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee earlier this week if he didn’t receive a major league offer. He probably could have made a contending team out of spring training, but the Indians will give him the job security he desires.
The 33-year-old right-hander has compiled a 3.62 ERA over 226 innings in the past three seasons in Philadelphia, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio across 68 2/3 innings last year.
Durbin is projected to set-up for young closer Chris Perez, but look for him to be a popular trade target around the deadline.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)