Feb 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Indians have reached agreement with Chad Durbin on a one-year contract, pending a physical. He’ll make a guaranteed salary of $800,000 with the chance for $1 million more in performance-based incentives.
Durbin was reportedly considering a return to Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee earlier this week if he didn’t receive a major league offer. He probably could have made a contending team out of spring training, but the Indians will give him the job security he desires.
The 33-year-old right-hander has compiled a 3.62 ERA over 226 innings in the past three seasons in Philadelphia, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio across 68 2/3 innings last year.
Durbin is projected to set-up for young closer Chris Perez, but look for him to be a popular trade target around the deadline.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy