Feb 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Indians have reached agreement with Chad Durbin on a one-year contract, pending a physical. He’ll make a guaranteed salary of $800,000 with the chance for $1 million more in performance-based incentives.
Durbin was reportedly considering a return to Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee earlier this week if he didn’t receive a major league offer. He probably could have made a contending team out of spring training, but the Indians will give him the job security he desires.
The 33-year-old right-hander has compiled a 3.62 ERA over 226 innings in the past three seasons in Philadelphia, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio across 68 2/3 innings last year.
Durbin is projected to set-up for young closer Chris Perez, but look for him to be a popular trade target around the deadline.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)