Feb 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, the Indians have reached agreement with Chad Durbin on a one-year contract, pending a physical. He’ll make a guaranteed salary of $800,000 with the chance for $1 million more in performance-based incentives.
Durbin was reportedly considering a return to Philadelphia as a non-roster invitee earlier this week if he didn’t receive a major league offer. He probably could have made a contending team out of spring training, but the Indians will give him the job security he desires.
The 33-year-old right-hander has compiled a 3.62 ERA over 226 innings in the past three seasons in Philadelphia, including a 3.80 ERA and 63/27 K/BB ratio across 68 2/3 innings last year.
Durbin is projected to set-up for young closer Chris Perez, but look for him to be a popular trade target around the deadline.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)