Feb 27, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Rangers didn’t like the look of things in one of Brandon Webb‘s first bullpen sessions of the spring, so they asked him to do only flat-ground throwing until he developed a little more strength in his chronically troublesome right shoulder.
Today, they let him back on a mound.
It was his first bullpen session in 10 days, and he reported feeling no abnormal pain or discomfort.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan was on hand to check on Webb, who agreed to an incentive-driven one-year, $3 million contract this winter and is expected to compete for a rotation spot this March. Here’s what Ryan told Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas:
“I don’t think you put a timeframe on it because you want to do what’s in the best interest for him and the club and so you monitor it and make a decision at some point in time. It also depends on how the other pitchers are doing. Like a conversation I had with him earlier today, as long as you feel like each time out you’re making progress, that’s what you look for and I think that’s the way we should gauge it with him.”
Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since the opening week of the 2009 season and his status for the opening of the 2011 season is still largely up in the air. But he was a perennial Cy Young Award contender before he got injured, and, at just 31, it’s not like he’s an old man. Maybe there’s some magic left in that sinker of his.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)