Feb 27, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
The Rangers didn’t like the look of things in one of Brandon Webb‘s first bullpen sessions of the spring, so they asked him to do only flat-ground throwing until he developed a little more strength in his chronically troublesome right shoulder.
Today, they let him back on a mound.
It was his first bullpen session in 10 days, and he reported feeling no abnormal pain or discomfort.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan was on hand to check on Webb, who agreed to an incentive-driven one-year, $3 million contract this winter and is expected to compete for a rotation spot this March. Here’s what Ryan told Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas:
“I don’t think you put a timeframe on it because you want to do what’s in the best interest for him and the club and so you monitor it and make a decision at some point in time. It also depends on how the other pitchers are doing. Like a conversation I had with him earlier today, as long as you feel like each time out you’re making progress, that’s what you look for and I think that’s the way we should gauge it with him.”
Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since the opening week of the 2009 season and his status for the opening of the 2011 season is still largely up in the air. But he was a perennial Cy Young Award contender before he got injured, and, at just 31, it’s not like he’s an old man. Maybe there’s some magic left in that sinker of his.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)