Feb 27, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The Rangers didn’t like the look of things in one of Brandon Webb‘s first bullpen sessions of the spring, so they asked him to do only flat-ground throwing until he developed a little more strength in his chronically troublesome right shoulder.
Today, they let him back on a mound.
It was his first bullpen session in 10 days, and he reported feeling no abnormal pain or discomfort.
Rangers president Nolan Ryan was on hand to check on Webb, who agreed to an incentive-driven one-year, $3 million contract this winter and is expected to compete for a rotation spot this March. Here’s what Ryan told Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas:
“I don’t think you put a timeframe on it because you want to do what’s in the best interest for him and the club and so you monitor it and make a decision at some point in time. It also depends on how the other pitchers are doing. Like a conversation I had with him earlier today, as long as you feel like each time out you’re making progress, that’s what you look for and I think that’s the way we should gauge it with him.”
Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since the opening week of the 2009 season and his status for the opening of the 2011 season is still largely up in the air. But he was a perennial Cy Young Award contender before he got injured, and, at just 31, it’s not like he’s an old man. Maybe there’s some magic left in that sinker of his.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (92)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)