Feb 27, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
The test showed no structural damage, but Utley is battling patellar tendinitis and won’t play in the Phillies’ first handful of Grapefruit League games.
The Phillies are also going to limit the amount of running and fielding drills that he participates in for the next week, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Utley, 32, played in only 115 games last season, but that was because of a thumb injury. This new knee issue should blow over with several days of rest and rehab. He was not administered a cortisone or lubricant shot and Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. didn’t sound all that concerned when he addressed the matter on Sunday morning in camp.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17