Be happy that Oliver Perez got rocked over the weekend, Mets fans

Feb 28, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

New York Mets Workout Sessions Getty Images

Oliver Perez worked in the Mexican League this winter and he showed up early to spring training.  Didn’t help, though, as he made his spring training debut against the Braves over the weekend and gave up four runs in two innings, walked three guys and only got the ball up to 86 m.p.h.  Once, that is.  Most of the time his fastball was in the low-to-mid 80s.

No, you shouldn’t make too much of spring training stats, but Perez has way more riding on his spring training than anyone in Mets camp, so he needed to be more effective than the guys who are able to give the standard “I was just workin’ on stuff” excuse.

But there is a bright side: if Perez had come out throwing bullets this spring, the Mets would have to give some serious consideration to placing him in an actual role coming out of camp.  If he continues to stink up the joint, however, cutting him loose will be way easier.

1. BC - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I’m going to vomit if he makes the opening day roster.

• uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Unfortunately my friend I doubt very seriously that the fate of the Mets season in 2011 rest on how Perez pitches either in spring training or in season should the Mets decide not to buy him out.

2. sdelmonte - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I just can’t take joy in a man’s failures. Or put too much weight on a single spring training appearance.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM

” A Man” would have swallowed his pride and pitched in AAA last season so he could possibly get his sh!t together. You know, instead of riding pine because he feels he’s above all that, which he isn’t.

• sdelmonte - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I didn’t say I want to see Ollie stay. I just don’t like seeing even a bad pitcher fail.

• henryd3rd - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Can we get Omar to give some of his salary back after seeing the results of some of his signings and acquisitions? Let’s see Beltran, Perez, Delgado and I can continue; but it is too painful to look back at some of those dubious signings. They all backfired and now we have Madoff Gate to add to our miseries.

Sandy Alderson was assigned to the Mets by MLB to mind the store because Bud and company knew that the ship was sinking both on the management side and the ownership side as well.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Of course sdelmonte. I can’t say I feel the same though in this particular case. If he had indeed done what was asked of him last season, I would find myself rooting for the guy. But he let pride get his mind all clouded. It was as if he didn’t even understand how tough it actually is to play on the big stage. He was given a chance to get better on a smaller stage and he laughed it off, damaging his teams chances as well as his own. The hens (or is it chickens?) are coming to roost on this guy and I think the roster spot would be better used by someone else. In other words the guy who isn’t a team player gets s-canned. That’s how it is in life sometimes, and I applaud it.

• aronmantoo - Feb 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I totally agree with this post. Good bye Ollie take your 86 mph fastball and go away.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Big softie that I am, I too am kinda hoping for this dude to show improvement. He should contact Moyer (who’s got nothing better to do at the moment) and get some tips on how to be junk baller cause that’s gonna be his only shot at staying in the bigs. Either that, or work on his knuckler.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I guess he could always take Dickey aside and ask to be shown the art of the knuckler. But knowing Dickey, he’d probably just hand him a copy of Cien Anos de Soledad and advise him to stop mangling his English syntax like that.

• spudchukar - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Advise from G. G. Marquez won’t remedy what ails Perez. Perhaps the denouement from F. G. Lorca’s ode, “Old Lizard” is more apropos,

It is the Hour to Depart:
        Leave the Dry Path
        and your Meditations.
        You will have time
        to look at the stars
        when the Worms are eating You
        at their leisure.

3. heyblueyoustink - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Maybe he should take a page out of Rick Ankiel’s book

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I agree as my other thought on his options to play ball with the big boys was Ankiel’s route. Takes hard work, perseverance and huge nards. Think he’ so endowed?.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Do I think he has the testicular fortitude to be like Ankiel? no, but he just might have enough to be a fill in for Mr. Met

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM

He makes enough for doing nothing to be able to go buy a copy of Ankiel’s book himself.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Yeah, guess he’s got lots of time to read what with all the sitting around he does.

4. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I think in a few years he will be nothing more than a faint memory. hes a giant douche. possible the biggest douche in the universe. hes getting 12 Mil a yr and he flat out sucks. he refused help last season by going down to the Minors. so any hate and boos and bad press he gets he deserves. i dont take much joy in watching the mets fail (unless they are playing the Yanks) but every time that he takes the ball and gets rocked i will smile cause i know that its his own damn fault,.

5. BC - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I would be most happy if while warming up in the bullpen, he is eaten by an alligator.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM

>barf<

6. yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Thought this would lure chrisny over here, but he’s still busy writing on the Mets Business Blog from last Friday. Guess he’s hoping Bloomberg business picks it up for serial rights.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Shhhh! It’s like Beetlejuice; say his name a certain number of times and he’ll appear.

7. BC - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Ollie has stolen money from the Mets. Heck, at least Madoff’s scheme was SUCCESSFUL for a while. C’mon guys, release him already. Admit your mistake.

8. gnyj85 - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM

At the end of last season, Oct 3rd be exact (the game where Thole hit a walk off against the Nats in extras) myself and 29 of other Met fans sat in the Mo-Zone area. It connects with the Bullpen area so we all taunted the S**T out of Oliver Perez because you’re only about 5-10 feet away. I almost felt bad for him until I realized how much he stole from the Mets. I’m convinced that he showed up early to Spring Training this year so he can stay away from the Bullpen and in particular, the Mo-Zone.

On a side note..the Mo-Zone is an awesome experience, especially now that Beltran will be in right. I reccommend it to you if you can get a bunch of people.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3635)