Feb 28, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
Bob Howry has announced his retirement at age 37 after spending 13 seasons as a reliever for the White Sox, Cubs, Red Sox, Indians, Diamondbacks, and Giants.
Howry was drafted by the Giants in 1994 and came to the White Sox in the infamous “white flag” trade in mid-1997. He finally wound up in San Francisco a dozen years later, signing with the Giants as a free agent. That proved to be Howry’s second-to-last season, as he struggled with the Diamondbacks and Cubs last year and has now called it quits.
Among active pitchers (or at least pitchers who were active in 2010), only Trevor Hoffman (1,035) and Billy Wagner (853) have appeared in more career games than Howry (769) without ever making a start. He also ranks fifth among all active relievers in seasons with 50 or more innings and a sub-3.50 ERA with six.
Howry never really got an extended opportunity to close after saving 28 games for the White Sox as a 25-year-old in 1999, but he was one of the best setup men in baseball for a decade and finishes with a 3.84 ERA in 788 career innings.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)