Feb 28, 2011, 8:22 AM EST
Bobby Valentine wants to buy into the Mets’ ownership group? Wow, Stamford, Connecticut must really overpay their civil servants:
Valentine has spoken with serious financial backers about lining up a bid to buy at least a portion of the Mets, a baseball official told ESPNNewYork.com.
“I’’ve talked to a number of people interested in purchasing part of the New York Mets, but I’’m not formally with any group that is actively pursuing this venture,” Valentine said Sunday night.
We talked a couple of weeks ago about famous investors. While a baseball man, I think Valentine fits into the MLK III/Donald Trump category, not the serious investor category, so members of Valentine Nation shouldn’t hold their breath.
Now, Wally Backman! There’s a guy to keep your eye on …
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)