Feb 28, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Bryce Harper made his spring training debut today, coming off the bench against the Mets, and … well, it wasn’t pretty for the 18-year-old No. 1 overall pick.
In his first at-bat Harper struck out on three pitches against left-hander Taylor Tankersley and in his second at-bat he whiffed on four pitches against right-hander Ryota Igarashi.
Seven pitches. Two strikeouts. And absolutely zero impact on his long-term status.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)