Feb 28, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
Derek Jeter told Chad Jennings of the Journal News this afternoon that he isn’t yet comfortable with his revamped approach at the plate.
“It’ll take a while to get comfortable,” Jeter said. “When was the first game? Two days ago? That was the first time I’ve seen pitching with (the new mechanics). It’s going to take a while to get comfortable. You have more time because there’s no stride. Now you’ve just got to figure out when to swing.”
Jeter began to tinker his his trademark stride while working with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long last September, but he is now trying to eliminate it altogether, ala Paul Molitor in the later part of his career. Such a change allows Jeter’s bat to get through the strike zone faster, but Long says it’s all a matter of timing.
“His timing is just a little bit off on the outside pitch,” Long said. “He’s got to wait a little bit longer on those pitches, and the ones in, he’s been a little bit late on. We’ll gain on it and go day by day with it. I’m certainly not, at this point, ready to cash it in and start from scratch with it. It’s going to take a little time.”
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he won’t truly start evaluating Jeter’s swing until “three weeks or so” into spring training, but the club is making his revamped swing a top priority. Long will skip tomorrow’s trip to Bradenton in order to work with Jeter one-on-one in Tampa.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 100
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (100)