Feb 28, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
Derek Jeter told Chad Jennings of the Journal News this afternoon that he isn’t yet comfortable with his revamped approach at the plate.
“It’ll take a while to get comfortable,” Jeter said. “When was the first game? Two days ago? That was the first time I’ve seen pitching with (the new mechanics). It’s going to take a while to get comfortable. You have more time because there’s no stride. Now you’ve just got to figure out when to swing.”
Jeter began to tinker his his trademark stride while working with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long last September, but he is now trying to eliminate it altogether, ala Paul Molitor in the later part of his career. Such a change allows Jeter’s bat to get through the strike zone faster, but Long says it’s all a matter of timing.
“His timing is just a little bit off on the outside pitch,” Long said. “He’s got to wait a little bit longer on those pitches, and the ones in, he’s been a little bit late on. We’ll gain on it and go day by day with it. I’m certainly not, at this point, ready to cash it in and start from scratch with it. It’s going to take a little time.”
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he won’t truly start evaluating Jeter’s swing until “three weeks or so” into spring training, but the club is making his revamped swing a top priority. Long will skip tomorrow’s trip to Bradenton in order to work with Jeter one-on-one in Tampa.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)