Feb 28, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
Derek Jeter told Chad Jennings of the Journal News this afternoon that he isn’t yet comfortable with his revamped approach at the plate.
“It’ll take a while to get comfortable,” Jeter said. “When was the first game? Two days ago? That was the first time I’ve seen pitching with (the new mechanics). It’s going to take a while to get comfortable. You have more time because there’s no stride. Now you’ve just got to figure out when to swing.”
Jeter began to tinker his his trademark stride while working with Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long last September, but he is now trying to eliminate it altogether, ala Paul Molitor in the later part of his career. Such a change allows Jeter’s bat to get through the strike zone faster, but Long says it’s all a matter of timing.
“His timing is just a little bit off on the outside pitch,” Long said. “He’s got to wait a little bit longer on those pitches, and the ones in, he’s been a little bit late on. We’ll gain on it and go day by day with it. I’m certainly not, at this point, ready to cash it in and start from scratch with it. It’s going to take a little time.”
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that he won’t truly start evaluating Jeter’s swing until “three weeks or so” into spring training, but the club is making his revamped swing a top priority. Long will skip tomorrow’s trip to Bradenton in order to work with Jeter one-on-one in Tampa.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 18
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 44
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)