HBT Weekend Wrapup

Feb 28, 2011, 5:30 AM EDT

Arizona

You suckers missed the fact that I was blogging spring training all weekend. Don’t try to deny it. I see the web traffic stats. You were spending time with your families or watching that godforsaken Oscars show or something instead of reading my dispatches from Arizona. Shame on you. But I now give you a second chance to catch up:

Of course, there was baseball news that didn’t have anything to do with me being a jackass at multiple spring training complexes:

Four more days of spring training action ahead. Hohokam Stadium and the Cubbies later today.  After that I’m gonna visit the White Sox and A’s. Thursday is a wild card, though. Anyone with suggestions of where I should go — ballpark wise, that is — leave them in the comments.

1. kiwicricket - Feb 28, 2011 at 5:45 AM

When does all the gang-banging take place again? (Or was that a different blog I clicked on last year?)

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hey. Welcome back Kiwi. Utley was asking after you a few days back. More shaken than stirred?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

KIWI!!!! Welcome back. Hope all is well—or as well as can be expected—down there.

2. Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 7:41 AM

On Thursday, skip another meaningless spring training game and drive down to Tucson and get those green corn tamales at Leruas.

• hep3 - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM

As long as you are down in Tucson, try the Guadalara Grill and the salsa made fresh at the table and the giant Margaritas.

3. Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Oh, and when in Tucson don’t forget to go to the Tanque Verde cactus nursery and see if they have a Euphorbia that mimics Bud Selig. Betcha they do.

Be especially careful not to step on a horned toad in Tucson. Just a reminder.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 28, 2011 at 7:48 AM

What is the difference between a horned toad and a horned frog?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 8:24 AM

One plays for the Yankees and is FAT.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:56 AM

A horned toad is a lizard. A horned frog doesn’t merely mimic a frog, like some kind of Euphorbia. A horned frog is a real honest to Buddha frog. Just horned.

4. Cold weather Stupid Bowls should be banned! - Feb 28, 2011 at 7:53 AM

You’re the real sucker Craig – allowing yourself to be tricked into going to AZ. Real spring training is in full swing and is taking place in Florida.

5. jon kk - Feb 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Awesome photo? Did you take it?

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 28, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Nope. Stock photo.

6. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 28, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Craig, have the police stopped you yet and ask you for your green card?

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I’m guessing they see either see Craig as undead, or the sun shining off his dome temporarily blinds them so he’s gone before they get their vision back.

7. sportsdrenched - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

You’re probably right about the web traffic. But I did drop by while I was GameDay Audioing a couple of games….during the useless awards show last night.

8. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Interesting ‘Wire’ reference, but I see the link. Let me know if you can match up a player that is similar to Omar, b/c that would be noteworthy.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Kay, see, I’m piqued here. Usually these comments are read by me for the purposes of amusement and enlightenment. This one may have been posted in order to make me read the entire blog and comment section again, and then again, and then AGAIN looking for the Omar reference. If it was posted to make me re-read this stuff, well played Mr. Heyward, well played. Us Jays fans are gullible (we believe, for instance, that we got a shot at the AL East) but curious. Since I’m always interested in what random guys named “Omar” are doing, can you explain this one to me?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’m pretty sure you’re just missing Craig’s reference to the HBO show ‘The Wire’ if I’m reading your comment correctly. Omar, McNulty and Stringer Bell are all characters of the (awesome) program.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Ahhhh. Ignorance exposed. Don’t watch the show (I pretty much only watch sports, Top Gear, and the Daily Show). Now my curiosity is really piqued. I shall have to see if my cable provider is so endowed. Cheers.

• Alex K - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM

The show is over. DVD is the only way to consume it now. I highly recommend it, though. It is my favorite show ever.

And for players that match-up with Omar……ummmmm…….I’ll have to think on that. Indeed.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline