Feb 28, 2011, 5:30 AM EST
You suckers missed the fact that I was blogging spring training all weekend. Don’t try to deny it. I see the web traffic stats. You were spending time with your families or watching that godforsaken Oscars show or something instead of reading my dispatches from Arizona. Shame on you. But I now give you a second chance to catch up:
- Mike Trout is happy to be here, just wants to help the ballclub, is taking them one day at a time and all of that rebop.
- Mike Scioscia is not very good at keeping secrets.
- Matt Kemp: Lord of Hustle.
- Nothing to see here. Just a bunch of ballplayers walking down the third base concourse in uniform. And hey, look! Deschutes beer at Tempe Diablo Stadium!
- I can’t tell you how happy I am that there will be a major leaguer named “Rubby” soon.
- It’s cute watching Arizonans freak out about a few showers and a cloud or two.
- In which I ponder the sheer ridiculousness of five million people living in a desert.
- So it looks like I’m going to be suing the Cincinnati Reds and Ryan Hanigan over the grievous personal injuries I received at their hands.
- I taught a South Korean baseball writer what a footlong chili dog is. I suspect I have made a war more likely as a result.
- In which I argued with a man over the fact that Marty Brennaman is not Bob Uecker.
Of course, there was baseball news that didn’t have anything to do with me being a jackass at multiple spring training complexes:
- Duke Snider passed away. Joins Mickey. Willie still going strong.
- Carlos Gonzalez just cashed in big, so of course it makes sense for the Rockies to put him in the defensive position that makes him less valuable than any other.
- Chad Durbin and the Indians get together.
- Jason Bay is playing real baseball games again.
- Justin Duchscherer is hurt? Shocking.
- Miguel Cabrera is almost a go. I worked with someone who got a DUI once. He was in the office the day after his wife bailed him out, so pardon me if I’m not overly impressed with Mr. Cabrera at the moment.
- The Yankees are interested in Francisco Liriano? Color me gobsmacked.
- Some people say that Adrian Beltre is going to miss only two weeks. Heyman says a month. Who ya gonna believe? Oh, and did I mention that Beltre is represented by Scott Boras?
- Rich Harden is still battling injuries. Color me double-gobsmacked.
- Kyle McLellan is going to try to replace Adam Wainwright. Kevin Millwood immediately starts Googling “Kyle McLellan.”
- Chase Utley is feeling creaky, but the MRI says things are mostly cool. Welcome to what the rest of your 30s are going to feel like, Mr. Utley.
- Remember when McNulty got inside Stringer Bell’s apartment after he died and was shocked to find the high art and the weighty reading on the bookshelf and said “who was I chasing?” I sort of feel like that with Jody Gerut. Who was this guy? I mean, crap, if I knew he was this interesting I probably would have paid closer attention.
Four more days of spring training action ahead. Hohokam Stadium and the Cubbies later today. After that I’m gonna visit the White Sox and A’s. Thursday is a wild card, though. Anyone with suggestions of where I should go — ballpark wise, that is — leave them in the comments.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)