Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Stewart suffered the injury Saturday during an outfield collision with Carlos Gonzalez, who escaped with merely a bruised right shin.
He initially didn’t think much of the collision, but Stewart had soreness once he got home Saturday night and got checked out by the Rockies’ training staff Sunday morning.
Despite facing some time on the sidelines, Stewart seems happy that he and Gonzalez avoided anything more serious:
My knee was very close to hitting him right in the face. My ankle was underneath his feet when he slid. It kind of buckled me a little bit. It could’ve been real bad. Once I realized I wasn’t going to get to it, I kind of checked up, thankfully. He slid, thankfully, on his feet, not head-first. I did see him at the last second.
Gonzalez will sit out today’s game, but should be back in the lineup before Stewart.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)