Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Stewart suffered the injury Saturday during an outfield collision with Carlos Gonzalez, who escaped with merely a bruised right shin.
He initially didn’t think much of the collision, but Stewart had soreness once he got home Saturday night and got checked out by the Rockies’ training staff Sunday morning.
Despite facing some time on the sidelines, Stewart seems happy that he and Gonzalez avoided anything more serious:
My knee was very close to hitting him right in the face. My ankle was underneath his feet when he slid. It kind of buckled me a little bit. It could’ve been real bad. Once I realized I wasn’t going to get to it, I kind of checked up, thankfully. He slid, thankfully, on his feet, not head-first. I did see him at the last second.
Gonzalez will sit out today’s game, but should be back in the lineup before Stewart.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)