Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Stewart suffered the injury Saturday during an outfield collision with Carlos Gonzalez, who escaped with merely a bruised right shin.
He initially didn’t think much of the collision, but Stewart had soreness once he got home Saturday night and got checked out by the Rockies’ training staff Sunday morning.
Despite facing some time on the sidelines, Stewart seems happy that he and Gonzalez avoided anything more serious:
My knee was very close to hitting him right in the face. My ankle was underneath his feet when he slid. It kind of buckled me a little bit. It could’ve been real bad. Once I realized I wasn’t going to get to it, I kind of checked up, thankfully. He slid, thankfully, on his feet, not head-first. I did see him at the last second.
Gonzalez will sit out today’s game, but should be back in the lineup before Stewart.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)