Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Stewart suffered the injury Saturday during an outfield collision with Carlos Gonzalez, who escaped with merely a bruised right shin.
He initially didn’t think much of the collision, but Stewart had soreness once he got home Saturday night and got checked out by the Rockies’ training staff Sunday morning.
Despite facing some time on the sidelines, Stewart seems happy that he and Gonzalez avoided anything more serious:
My knee was very close to hitting him right in the face. My ankle was underneath his feet when he slid. It kind of buckled me a little bit. It could’ve been real bad. Once I realized I wasn’t going to get to it, I kind of checked up, thankfully. He slid, thankfully, on his feet, not head-first. I did see him at the last second.
Gonzalez will sit out today’s game, but should be back in the lineup before Stewart.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12