Feb 28, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Stewart suffered the injury Saturday during an outfield collision with Carlos Gonzalez, who escaped with merely a bruised right shin.
He initially didn’t think much of the collision, but Stewart had soreness once he got home Saturday night and got checked out by the Rockies’ training staff Sunday morning.
Despite facing some time on the sidelines, Stewart seems happy that he and Gonzalez avoided anything more serious:
My knee was very close to hitting him right in the face. My ankle was underneath his feet when he slid. It kind of buckled me a little bit. It could’ve been real bad. Once I realized I wasn’t going to get to it, I kind of checked up, thankfully. He slid, thankfully, on his feet, not head-first. I did see him at the last second.
Gonzalez will sit out today’s game, but should be back in the lineup before Stewart.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)