Josh Beckett sent home with “mild concussion symptoms” after being struck by ball

Feb 28, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT

josh-beckett-red-sox-spring AP

Josh Beckett was struck on the head by an errant batting practice ball this morning and Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that he’s been “sent home to rest” with “mild concussion symptoms.”

According to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com, the incident occurred when batting practice pitcher Ino Guerrero attempted to hit a shagged ball back to the bucket behind second base.

Beckett walked off the field under his own power and was later spotted in the dugout watching the Red Sox-Twins game, but eventually left after being examined by a doctor.

He’ll be evaluated further tomorrow, but as Justin Morneau and Jason Bay have shown recently the impact of concussions can be incredibly tough to predict.

1. spudchukar - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM

How could they tell?

• Ari Collins - Feb 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I appreciate that this is funny in a vacuum, but seriously, dude, concussions ruin lives.

• spudchukar - Feb 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Granted, but the humor was directed at the diagnosis, not the injury itself. While I honestly hope for a quick recovery, I also recognize the irony of a pitcher in a DH league getting rather softly plunked. Nothing is sacred.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I agree how could they tell? guy is nothing but a jerk, always has been, maybe he will become a decent person after this but thats doubtful. Its gonna be fun seeing him not earn a penny of the contract they gave him last year

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Meh. dirty “Eyore” harry1971 checked in to vent his spleen, then, like an ill wind, he passes…seriously, is this guy ever happy? Personally, I don’t believe you can watch TV for any length of time immediately after a concussion. Most people act like they have a bad migraine or something; they want a dark room and peace and quiet. Its doubtful that Becks will lose playing time or that he’s concussed. He’s gonna be more careful with his back to Ino Guerrero and that’s about it, I bet.

2. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

oh man.. i need to make a Johny Gomes worthy song about this. not that he was any real threat but still…

3. BC - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Hey, you never know. This may fix him. Sorta like how Fonzie turned the jukebox on by hitting it.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I think that would only work if Vernon Wells had hit him with the ball. He’s got the ju-ju. I cite link this as my source;
      Anyone know if Ino Guerrero has liddle statchoo of JoFu in his locker?

4. uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I certainly don’t mean to make light of this. Head injuries even minor ones are nothing to laugh about. But it seems to me all those Red Sox fans that are pounding their chest about their team already counting the days until they can see their beloved team in the world series need to be reminded it’s a very long season. The injury bug appears to have the Red Sox players in it’s sights (Drew and Beckett) and the season hasn’t even started yet.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Based on his pitching the last 2 years, they may want him to be injured.

• uyf1950 - Feb 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I know the Yankees would love to have him pitch every game they play against each other.

5. whatagreatfootballmind - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Looks like the Yankees have another bidder for Francisco Liriano

6. pisano - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I hope the concussion knocked some sense into that hillbilly. Maybe now he understands what being hit in the head feels like. He’s been throwing at Yankee batters for years and thought nothing of it. I do wish him a speedy recovery because between Papelbum and Beckett the Yankees feast on hits and home runs and come from behind wins.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3255)