Feb 28, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Trout is a very popular guy right now. And not just because he is widely considered as one of the top position prospects in the game.
No, you see, the 19-year-old outfielder was the innocent victim of a prank this afternoon by his Angels’ teammates.
According to Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times, a message popped up on the right field scoreboard multiple times during today’s exhibition game against the Athletics inviting those in attendance to call “Mike Trout directly with your baseball questions.” They were even nice enough to include Trout’s real cell phone number.
And just who was the mastermind behind this little scheme? Last year’s AL strikeout king Jered Weaver.
Cold blooded? Yes. But every guy needs to get knocked down a few pegs every once in a while. You know, just to keep them honest.
Welcome to the bigs, kid. At least for a little while.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)