Feb 28, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Trout is a very popular guy right now. And not just because he is widely considered as one of the top position prospects in the game.
No, you see, the 19-year-old outfielder was the innocent victim of a prank this afternoon by his Angels’ teammates.
According to Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times, a message popped up on the right field scoreboard multiple times during today’s exhibition game against the Athletics inviting those in attendance to call “Mike Trout directly with your baseball questions.” They were even nice enough to include Trout’s real cell phone number.
And just who was the mastermind behind this little scheme? Last year’s AL strikeout king Jered Weaver.
Cold blooded? Yes. But every guy needs to get knocked down a few pegs every once in a while. You know, just to keep them honest.
Welcome to the bigs, kid. At least for a little while.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 124
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)