Feb 28, 2011, 6:52 PM EST
Mike Trout is a very popular guy right now. And not just because he is widely considered as one of the top position prospects in the game.
No, you see, the 19-year-old outfielder was the innocent victim of a prank this afternoon by his Angels’ teammates.
According to Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times, a message popped up on the right field scoreboard multiple times during today’s exhibition game against the Athletics inviting those in attendance to call “Mike Trout directly with your baseball questions.” They were even nice enough to include Trout’s real cell phone number.
And just who was the mastermind behind this little scheme? Last year’s AL strikeout king Jered Weaver.
Cold blooded? Yes. But every guy needs to get knocked down a few pegs every once in a while. You know, just to keep them honest.
Welcome to the bigs, kid. At least for a little while.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 39
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (116)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)