Feb 28, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Trout is a very popular guy right now. And not just because he is widely considered as one of the top position prospects in the game.
No, you see, the 19-year-old outfielder was the innocent victim of a prank this afternoon by his Angels’ teammates.
According to Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times, a message popped up on the right field scoreboard multiple times during today’s exhibition game against the Athletics inviting those in attendance to call “Mike Trout directly with your baseball questions.” They were even nice enough to include Trout’s real cell phone number.
And just who was the mastermind behind this little scheme? Last year’s AL strikeout king Jered Weaver.
Cold blooded? Yes. But every guy needs to get knocked down a few pegs every once in a while. You know, just to keep them honest.
Welcome to the bigs, kid. At least for a little while.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)