Ozzie Guillen fires back at Bobby Jenks: “He did a lot of bad things … we lied for him, we protected him”

Feb 28, 2011, 1:50 PM EST

bobby-jenks-and-ozzie-guillen-white-sox AP

After being non-tendered by the White Sox and signing with the Red Sox as a free agent Bobby Jenks commented that he’s “looking forward to playing for a manager who knows how to run a bullpen.”

Ozzie Guillen remained remarkable silent after that, instead letting his son Oney Guillen rip Jenks repeatedly via Twitter, but Jenks has continued to criticize his former team and Guillen is no longer staying quiet.

Over the weekend Guillen fired back at Jenks in a huge way, airing some dirty laundry about the reliever’s time with the White Sox and threatening to make public significantly more stuff that “will be pretty ugly” unless Jenks keeps his mouth shut:

If Oney said everything he knows about Bobby Jenks, it wouldn’t be a pretty thing. I respect his wife. I respect his kids. I’m not even mad. I wish I was mad about it because I will rip his throat [out]. That’s sad because it’s coming from him. That surprises me. Everybody in this organization did a lot of great things for him. Did he pitch good for us? Yes, very, very good. But in the meanwhile, just worry about setting up some games over there. Just worry about Boston, don’t worry about the White Sox.

He did a lot of bad things last year. We lied for him, we protected him. I’m the first manager in the history of baseball to give a guy a week off to take care of his kids when his father-in-law was sick. It wasn’t even his wife, it even wasn’t a [family] member. But it was out of respect I have for his family. I sent him home because he had to babysit his kids because his father-in-law was sick. I don’t think any manager is doing that. But coming from him, I expect that.

We don’t miss him. You ask 30 guys in there. By the way, I was asking for his phone number to talk him to about it, and nobody had his phone number. None of his [former] teammates had his phone number. That you can tell what happened. … Just be careful of what you say about Oney because Oney will say stuff he’s not supposed to be saying. That’s just a warning for him just in case somebody don’t call him. Just stay away and don’t name Oney for this because it will be pretty ugly.

And as Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune chronicled, there was a lot more where that came from.

Jenks’ new manager, Terry Francona, is trying to squash the feud before it escalates any further, saying “that’s over” and telling Michael Vera of the Boston Globe that he reached out to Guillen and White Sox coach Joey Cora in an effort to shut it down. That may keep things quiet for a while, but given what are obviously some pretty negative feelings from both sides and Guillen’s complete lack of an internal censor there’s absolutely no way we’ve heard the end of this stuff.

1. cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Well. And I thought Gomes v Wainwright was interesting. Jenks v Guillen & Son is really shaping up. Sox v. Sox this season could be an affair to remember. Anyone got Bond’s baseball-armorer’s number?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Ozzie Guillen is a scumbag, always has been and always will be. His own GM hates him. Everyone hates him. But he wins, so he keeps his job. He also makes the world of twitter a better place. His son is just a stone-cold douchebag though and someone needs to smack him around.

• Alex K - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I don’t hate him. As a Cubs fan you would think I would hate the White Sox manager, but I don’t.

More important Jerry Reinsdorf LOVES him. Ozzy beats Kenny 99 times out of 100 if one of them has to go.

• marinersnate - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Leave Oney Guillen alone.

• pisano - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

No one could have said it better, he and his son eat out of the same trough. They both need to be shipped back to Venezuela and never be allowed back in the U.S.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I thought they had to get him the heck out of there quick before Buehrle mistook him for a black bear and shot him with a bow and arrow. A game reserve and a baseball field have alot in common ya know. Like fences.

4. davidw7 - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Regardless of all this, Ozzie is one funny dude. I think Jenks vs Sox this year should be pretty good. I bet Hawk is already waiting to explode in the commentary box over it all.

5. henryd3rd - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Say what you want about Ozzie; but he still has that World Series ring on his finger and there are lots of managers in both leagues that can’t say that. Plus he amusing to say the least. He never gives you can responses like a lot of managers. You want the truth just ask him.

6. Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Are we sure that this was actually Ozzie pouring benzene on a grease fire? When was the last time the Ozzie-to-English dictionary (Guillen edition—not to be confused with the Osbourne edition) was updated?

7. Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Just another episode to remind me of what an immense relief it was when the White Sox extended that dimwitted blowhard and squelched any rumors he might be coming to the Feesh. I was kinda wondering why Edwin Rodriguez looked so much better to me this spring than he did last fall, and this just reminded me.

8. jwbiii - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Was Kobe Tai involved in any way?

(Unlike most of her movie write-ups, this one is ok for work)

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Aren’t you maybe confusing a BJ with a blowhard?

9. luckywi - Feb 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I’m beginning to believe the White s Soxx are haven for guy’s secrets. I men after Kenny Williams destroyed Frank Thomas, you’d think these guy’s would learn to keep their mouths shut. And from any other manager this would be a slaying. From Ozzie, it’s just ahot across the bow. And WAY out front. If I was Jenks, I’d just shut up. And if I was Jenks’ wife, I’d start asking my husband what the hell Ozzie was talking about

10. inw3 - Feb 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

My father, a former minor league pitcher, really mentored Bobby. He was a close friend of their family, really loved that kid. I don’t know what happened. He tried to call Bobby last summer and none of the phone numbers were good. It’s consistent with the little I know.

11. goforthanddie - Feb 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Nobody outside of Chicago gives a rat’s ass what Ozzie or his tard kid think.

• marinersnate - Mar 1, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Leave Ozzie and Oney alone.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Is that you, Chris Crocker?

12. ilpackerbacker - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I live in Chicago and I can tell you right now – there was a radio report that got leaked and then immediately was tossed out, but … “the very bad things” comment Ozzie made, and the “if Oney said everything he knew about Jenks” comment, it supposedly refers to Jenks having a cocaine problem and one of those “family issues” he was excused for, was actually for him to go to a hush-hush rehab facility. There was a period there, where Jenks was gone for about two weeks, not a few days. I’m not saying this is all true – I have no clue, but I heard this on the radio and then it was curiously swept under the rug, before it could snowball (no pun intended) into a bigger news story. So, who knows?

Jenks always was pretty jittery on the mound. Hmmm …

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5806)
  2. M. Kemp (3246)
  3. J. Kang (3196)
  4. C. McGehee (3081)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3051)
  1. J. Upton (2984)