Feb 28, 2011, 8:13 PM EST
It turns out the switch was a couple seasons in the making.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, after Beltran initially developed the bone bruise in his right knee in the summer of 2009, his agent Scott Boras suggested that it might be beneficial for his career to move to move to a less demanding position than center field.
“He said, ‘Later in your career, you have to think about maybe making a move to a corner position,'” Beltran said. “I was like, ‘Why should I make a move?’ And he said, ‘Your bat is important in the game. You’re going to play a good defensive outfield if you’re in the corner. Plus, you’re going to be fresh for the long run.'”
There’s a certain segment of Mets fans who dislike Beltran no matter what he does, so I’m waiting to hear how his decision to move to right field was somehow selfishly motivated. As if he has dollar signs in his eyes instead of the best interests of the team in mind. The truth is, if Beltran can stay healthy, this is the perfect solution for both the team and the player.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)