Feb 28, 2011, 8:13 PM EDT
It turns out the switch was a couple seasons in the making.
According to Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal, after Beltran initially developed the bone bruise in his right knee in the summer of 2009, his agent Scott Boras suggested that it might be beneficial for his career to move to move to a less demanding position than center field.
“He said, ‘Later in your career, you have to think about maybe making a move to a corner position,'” Beltran said. “I was like, ‘Why should I make a move?’ And he said, ‘Your bat is important in the game. You’re going to play a good defensive outfield if you’re in the corner. Plus, you’re going to be fresh for the long run.'”
There’s a certain segment of Mets fans who dislike Beltran no matter what he does, so I’m waiting to hear how his decision to move to right field was somehow selfishly motivated. As if he has dollar signs in his eyes instead of the best interests of the team in mind. The truth is, if Beltran can stay healthy, this is the perfect solution for both the team and the player.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)