Wanna be the P.A. announcer at Wrigley Field?

Feb 28, 2011, 11:29 AM EDT

Wrigley Field

I just got back from the Cubs’ clubhouse — more on that later — and sitting on my laptop was a press release from the team announcing a partnership between the Cubs and CareerBuilder.com to find the next public address announcer at Wrigley Field.

Really: they’re taking applications right on the web. Candidates, we’re told, should possess “a strong vocal talent, skilled readership and a deep knowledge of baseball.”

No word if you have to be able to dramatically repeat players’ last names (“Now pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon … Manny Mota … Mota … Mota …”)

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Maybe Todd Ricketts can continue his stellar performance from last night’s “Undercover Boss” Any fan who comes in contact with him would get a “Queen For A Day” prize for being so loyal.

2. davidw7 - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Wonder if the T & C state that “Steve Bartman need not apply”

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Now THAT is the low hanging fruit, right there.

• davidw7 - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

lol, I know :)

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Must you drink milk of goat before every game? (said in my best goat herder impression) I’ll do it!!!!

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Hey J5; you could try feta cheese (a feature of the greek salad). That should be enough ‘goatiness’ for any one man to have to handle.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I hear they serve it at Greek weddings to keep the flies off the bride.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Oh Jeez. I sprayed my keyboard with OJ….

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Sounds like the perfect gig for that golden voiced homeless guy.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I’ll apply on behalf of Lewis Black.

6. spudchukar - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I want this Job:

“Now batting, and leading off, the oft-injured, lackadaisical, Alphonso Soriano.”

“Now taking the mound, the enigmatic, tempermental, tantrum proned right hander, Carlos Zambrano.”

“Now corralling the hot corner, the eternally dissatisfied, complaisant, Aramis Ramirez.”

• henryd3rd - Feb 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Come Man!!!! Zambrano has taken anger management classes and he says we’ll not see anymore outrageous behavior this season. What is the point of going to Wrigley if he’s going to behave. That was one of the big draws waiting for Carlos to explode.

And to think I was upset when the Yankees got traded Soriano and brought up Robinson Canoe.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2798)