Welcome to St. Jetersburg

Feb 28, 2011, 8:48 AM EDT

Derek Jeter smiling

The New York Times has a feature on the outrageously large house Derek Jeter has built down in Tampa. Cost?! No man can say!

The 30,875-square-foot mansion, which overlooks Hillsborough Bay, features seven bedrooms, nine bathrooms, a pool, two boat lifts, a drive-through portico and a pair of three-car garages flanking the north and south ends of the property.

Look, I know he has more money than God and is the biggest star in baseball over the past 20 years or so, but on what planet does a single guy with no kids need a 30,875-square-foot mansion?

Sometimes my wife and I play the “what would we do if we won $200 million in the Powerball” game.  It almost always involves a relatively human-scale yet fortified compound that is generally hidden from civilization.

Why anyone would want to build a giant, gleaming white house that fronts a public thoroughfare like Jeter’s does is beyond me. But it certainly does make all of the “Derek Jeter is a humble and private man” stuff that tends to get written about him seem rather silly. He can do whatever he wants, of course, but  there is nothing at all private or humble about this Xanadu he has constructed.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM

On the day of his retirement, he will say “Rosebud”.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM

So what’s his deathbed line going to be – “Either that wallpaper goes, or I do”?

I really hate to say this, but maybe Hank Steinbrenner was on to something…..

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

On to his tenth pack of cigarettes by 11am?

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Oooo, too far…

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM

What’s the big deal? It’s not like he’s going all Charlie Sheen and throwing it away on hookers and blow.

He’s spent the 15+ years earning over 125 mil bucks and learning to appreciate the finer things in life so I’m not surprised that he willing to build an extravagant home. I’m sure he thought it out before decided to build his “house”. He isn’t doing anything illegal or immoral so why not?

They guy earned it he can spend it anyway he wants.

• henryd3rd - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, Hank may have been on something. More likely something he was smoking. Jeter’s name has never been associated with a scandal, the dude plays hard at all times and lastly he has five count em; five World Series Championship Rings. If he want to spend his money on a house more power to him. At least it not going up his nose like a certain spoiled actor I can name. Okay; his first name is Charlie. You figure out the rest. You see how quickly “George Lite” back tracked once the reporters starting grilling him.

• macjacmccoy - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I know Sheen is all drugged up but I dont think people realize why hes really talking all crazy… hes trying to do that corny fake crazy act that Brian Wilson does … charly and dykstra are both doing it…. saying all the dumb goofy stuff to get attention like Wilson… they are friends with him and I guess they find it funny or entertaining or something and now there doing… that new hipster ironic say crazy things like your so wierd and different act is so fake when Brian Wilson does it its even worse coming from Sheen n Lenny… actually go and listen to what those two have been saying then listen to Wilson talk you will see exactly what Im saying… Charly Sheen isnt ranting and talking crazly like he has been bc hes whacked out on drugs hes just doing the Brain Wilson act…. it makes it even more noticeable that thats whats going on bc Sheen started going off like this a day after they had that get together with Dykstra, Sheen, Wilson, Lofton etc at Sheens house to watch “Major League” … none of its real he realized acting all fake crazy like Wilson does got him alot of attention and endorsments from people who cant see through it so he decided to do it… only problem is Charly and Lenny are to dumb to realize that just coming out of no where acting like that with the history those 2 have isnt going to work like it does for Wilson and every1 is just gonna think there on something and have really lost there mind

2. Professor Longnose - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM

If you’re single and have no kids, what else are you going to do with your money? You find yourself an expensive hobby. Racehorses, gambling, classic cars, whatever. So he built a house. The idea that someone being able to see his house from a public road says anthing definitive about his character is just as stupid as the idea that getting 3000 hits in MLB says something definitive about anyone’s character.

• Lukehart80 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM

He could give it to charity.

3. phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I’m sorry but we are upset at Jeter for spend HIS earned money on a house that he wont use 10% of? im guessing you are a Socialist? are you that guy that drives up rodeo drive and gets pissed at the Plastic Surgeons for their giant houses and 15 cars even though they live alone? how is this even an article? who in the FU*K cares how big Jeter’s house is or how much he spent on it or where its facing? how does this take away from his ““Derek Jeter is a humble and private man” stuff”. seriously… you can count the number of times you have seen him in the media in negative light in the last 15 yrs one one hand. Seriously Craig… i know how much you hate the Yankees but you are getting desperate now.

and to Old Gator – NO! hank wasnt on to anything.. THIS IS HIS OWN GDDAMN MONEY!

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

As for article-worthiness, tell it to the New York Times. They’re the one that featured the place.

And sure, Jeter can do anything he wants with his money. He build an interplanetary outpost on Titan for all I care. But really, if you don’t think that building a house this size in this location cuts ever-so-slightly against the notion that Jeter is private and humble, you’re not very well-acquainted with the concepts of privacy or humbleness.

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM

no my point is YOU seem to be knocking a guy for building a house (however big) with his own money. you want to knock someone look at the schmucks that are ripping into a guy that was “focusing on building mansions” with his own money while they expect the fuc*king public taxpayers to pay for their new “House”.

• Professor Longnose - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM

So your definition of privacy is having a house no one can see? That Jeter would spend his money on his own private house rather than, say, traveling, or going to public places, or having a reality show seems to me to indicate his being a private person. I can’t see how you think this makes him less private. Maybe I’m not picking up on what you’re getting at.

I don’t know if Jeter is actually humble (and I don ‘t much care). He does seem to be private in that he doesn’t go around talking about his private life on TV and he doesn’t do a lot in public other than his job and commercials. I just don’t see what his house has to do with that.

• henryd3rd - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM

The NY Times is no longer a paragon of virtue, great writing or great reporting. That slogan “All the News That’s Fit to Print.” went up in smoke years ago. They will cover anything that will generate buzz and revenue and the Jeter’s house column generated a lot of buzz. Plus those clowns now want to charge for their online edition. The World as we know it in journalism is coming to and end.

Yes I’ll pay for it.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I don’t think Hank was worried about Jeter’s money, phuk. I think his point (however blunt a point) was that Jeter was being distracted by the house-building project instead of paying proper attention to his game, which had declined noticeably last season on most fronts. I also thought that was pretty obvious, but perhaps Hank has evolved during his period of enforced silence sufficient to deliver subtleties with his rants. Thought I kinda doubt that.

• wonkypenguin - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I thought we instituted a “no socialist/capitalist/fascist word usage” law a few weeks ago here at HBT. I know you would reject said law and rant about government expansion by even calling it a law, but it would just a blessing if we could always get over that whole name-calling thing since it almost never applies. Unless Craig goes on one of his pinko commie rants and calls himself that. Then it’s free game.

Look the house is absurdly large. Unless he’s planning on converting it into a high school, it is probably a little much. But no one is questioning his use of HIS MONEY. The question we’re asking is WHY does ANYONE need/want a 30,000 square foot house. And I think we’re allowed to ask that without fear of our political leanings being called into question. We asked the same thing when Tiger built his. And LeBron with his. And every athlete from now until the end of time. So it’s probably better for you to stay calm and let it pass.

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM

sorry was not aware of that rule. will keep it in mind going forward. and if you re-read the blog craig mentions jeters money twice so yea i think he takes issue with it. and who the hell cares WHY ANYONE wants a house that big. unless he came knocking on your door for a donation i dont even think it should be asked. yea.. its a free country and you can ask whatever the hell you want but seriously… who cares? and no its not a jeter thing.. it’s Tiger, LeBron, Manny, and the rest of the superstars out there that spend ALOT of money on stuff most of us could only dream about.

4. steve7921 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Too bad this house is not in St. Petersburg but in Tampa!

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

He’s not “humble” or “private” He’s just good at projecting that image. If he were either the “negotiations” of the offseason wouldn’t have been through the press, or for the amount it was signed at. A humble man would have known what he was worth and signed at that amount. A private man wouldn’t have dragged it through the press to get what he wanted, because he knew he didn’t deserve it. I’m not knocking the guy for doing it. Just saying his image is not in sync with reality. I think that was what Craig was saying here.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Careful J5; someone’s already used the ‘s’ word. Going don this route will have the ‘c’ word used soon…

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM

while i agree that this offseason is one of times that jeets was a schmuck it does not take away from his humbleness. honestly.. think about it. he sees Arod and Tex and Aj getting these monster contract that take them into 40 and thinks to himself WTF! i will have meant more to this team than those 3 combined ever will. of course he wants more. im not defending his actions this summer. in fact i was pissed at him at the time cause of who he was. but if not for stupid hanks comments 2 weeks ago the Times would not have even written the article and noone would be talking. i mean what a gddamn hypocrite he is. jeter spent MAYBE 30 mil on the house, meanwhile the Yankees organization spends 1.1 BILLION of somoene else’s money and he has the nerve a year after they just won it all to call out his captain over bullsh*t?

yes im a yankees fan and yes i get pissed if its anything less than a WS ring but you would have to be a fu*king moron to call out the guy thats helped get you 5 rings over the last 15 yrs.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Poor beep-beep has just had bad timing. He signed a 10 year contract at age 26 not calculating what age that would make him when he re-upped. Neither did anyone else. Do you think the Universe would pay ARod 27M a year now for the next 6 years? Kind of doubtful.
        Look at how many times around here we look at a contrtact for someone in their prime and question what will happen in another X years. This could actually mean you too, Mr. Pujols.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I still say it’s a projected image Phuk. It happens all the time with people placed on pedestals by their fans. We are frequently let down when we find out they are mere mortals with desires, flaws, and problems like the rest of us. “Humble” doesn’t accurately describe a multimillionaire with a 30,000 sq ft home, who forced the Yanks to dish out more than he was worth by causing a media frenzy, that’s all. And i’m not harshing on him at all for any of this, Just saying he isn’t Mr. Perfect even though he’s expected to be.

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

i dont think hes perfect. far from it actually. but in the public face he is damn near flawless. he doesnt flaunt or showoff or make stupid ass comments. never used Roids or PEDs or any of that sh*t. hes kept his nose clean for the most part. then this offseason happens.. not his finest moment but w/e we all got passed it. then another light gets shined on him for building a house. an no i do not think that contirbuted to his poor season last year. i mean everyone has a bad yea or two why not jeter after 14 good/great years.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM

“jeets”…LOL.

6. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Question for Yankee fans: If you had to choose between him and Rivera as to who was more important to the teams success who would it be?

I believe Rivera was 10 times more important to the teams success but I am not a Yankee fan and did not watch them daily during and before this run (Hell before the run I was still living in Nigeria)

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Mo… not a question. but not by much.

• bigharold - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I’d go with Jeter but also not by a great deal. It’s hard to make a case for a pitcher being the more valuable than a position player. They’re just not in enough games therefore have less influence over the outcome of games.

While Rivera is clearly the best in the game at his positions over the last 15 years, in his best seasons Rivera doesn’t even get into half the games. Jeter, over the past 16 years, has averaged over 140 games a year meaning; in his best years Rivera is only involved, or can potentially influence, less than half the games Jeter can. The difference is what Rivera does is frequently more dramatic but not always.

I’ve no doubt that Rivera has the same stature not only on the field and with the fans but in the clubhouse as well. However, Jeter’s contributions on the whole over the last 16 years are more valuable than Rivera’s. And, that is in no way meant as a slight or to diminish his contributions.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Gotta pick Mo. Pitchers have an ability for clearly defined epic achievements or failure. Though I’m still mad a Mo for WS game 7 in 2001, he is a pitcher batters till fear.
      While I’m driving through Derek Sanderson Jeter’s neighborhood in my Grand Cherokee, think I’ll blow the horn.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Rivera. That guy is the sack.

7. joregon - Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I can’t help but think what a waste of resources.
    The planet is dying.
    Unless he has a massive amount of solar panels and produces more energy than he uses it is just another indication of someone with a God complex.
    I have been in massive homes, not a one of them did anything except destroy the planet.
    One couple had to hire a Nanny because the house was so big, if the baby fell asleep somewhere, mom didn’t want to be tied down to that small section of the house.

• Old Gator - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I just daydream about that day some years in the future when Jeter’s Lifeline amulet sends a “help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” message – and then he expires while the EMS guys kill an hour and a half searching that stately pleasure dome trying to figure out which jacuzzi he’s in.

Assuming they can spot him under the 1500 rubber duckies he’s ordered, I mean.

8. BC - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Yeah, its a huuuuuuuuuge house. But does he have a wet bar? That’s key.

• phukyouk - Feb 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM

when Minka is around it does….

• marinersnate - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Leave Derek Jeter alone.

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM

no don’t. This is good dirt. I may even get enough to be able to legitimately start hating on the guy.

• Utley's Hair - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM

LEAVE DEREK ALONE!!!!!!!!!

• cur68 - Feb 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Oh. My. God. Kay. Sure. I’ll leave Brittany alone. Sorry. Jeeze. I didn’t even know he went by “Brittany”. Maybe this is why he needs the big hacienda? To keep his dresses and shoe collection.

9. gqrlh - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Okay, it’s not a big deal. Derek enjoy your new home. I would have done the same if I wewre in your shies, literally!

10. gqrlh - Feb 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Were and shoes should be on that last post, typo! iPhone mistake.

11. macjacmccoy - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Im different then you Craig. If I won 200 million I wouldnt build out in the middle of no where. I would buy a couple of houses right next to each other in the middle of South Philly tear them down and build 1 big house in there place. I want to be in the middle of the action not secluded from everything. I love city life being about to walk out the front door and be able to get what ever you need in a 5 block radius. Thats the life for me.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3198)