Chris Carpenter leaves start with strained hamstring

Mar 1, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT

carpenter_090907

More bad news for the Cardinals, as Chris Carpenter left this afternoon’s start with a strained hamstring.

Given how depressing spring training has been for the Cardinals so far perhaps the injury being to Carpenter’s leg rather than his arm almost qualifies as good news.

Of course, in the same game reliever Mitchell Boggs departed with a strained lower back, so the hits just keep on coming for a Cardinals pitching staff already reeling from losing Adam Wainwright for the season to Tommy John elbow surgery.

Carpenter told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that “there was no way he could have gone on,” so at the very least he’s unlikely to make another start for a couple weeks.

1. Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I wonder if Ruben Amaro’s phone is ringing 10 or 11 times a day now on possible Blanton trades???

2. phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………… Listen very closely… Gomes is singing…

• uyf1950 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Colon for Pujols straight up if Pujols is willing to wave his no trade clause.

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

no way man… you crazy… Colon is like twice the man Pujols will ever be….

• spudchukar - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM

If recent pictures are any indication, you may in fact be correct.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

No Way man. It’s Kendrick for Holliday. That would be a great swap. :)

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

FINE! i’m willing to throw in Iguana too. hes the winningest pitches in Scranton HISTORY! even the Babe cant say that.

• uyf1950 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Jonny 5 – I call your Kendrick and raise you a “Joba the Hut”.

• BC - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Ollie Perez for Pujols. And we’ll take that injury-prone Carpenter off your hands too!

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM

dude… if you dont throw in Castilo its not even worth talking about,.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM

UYF, I see your Joba. I raise you one Dannys Baez…..

• uyf1950 - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Jonny 5 – I’ve given this a lot of thought. This is my final offer. Igawa and Mitre for Pujols straight up if he’s willing to wave his not trade clause.
        I would have offered Nova but I’ve already given him away for Liriano.

• Ari Collins - Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Thanks for the great thread, gents. Laughed my ass off.

3. spudchukar - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Better to suffer relatively minor injuries in the first week of Spring Training then later when their absence is meaningful.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Look on the bright side, both Wainwright and Carp have sustained 2011 injuries and I had them on my 2010 fantasy team so it had no effect on their 2010 performance. Sorry, Cards fans, that’s as bright as it gets.

5. psousa1 - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Cards are going to kick the tires on Tim Wakefield. He’s a beloved player in Boston but the Sox would like a politically correct way to unload him because their bullpen is jammed. The guy could still win 13-15 games (easy) in the NL.

• JBerardi - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I choose to believe this is true.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Not a bad outside-the-box idea, but seeing old man Wakefield at the plate and running the bases may not work out very well. Not everybody’s Jamie Moyer.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I’d pay just to see Wakefield run the bases.

• spudchukar - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM

The Boston bullpen includes two Cards’ rejects Reyes and Hill.

6. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Being a carpenter is not easy, I do a lot of my own repairs and sometimes injuries occur even when you are careful and mindful of injuries.This guy should consider a new occupation

7. jamool26 - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I think this might be a sign from the Baseball Gods trying to tell the Cardinals to just break the bank on Pujols already. If you pay him the Baseball Gods will reward you. If you don’t pay him the Cardinals will be in baseball turmoil for a long, long time.

• spudchukar - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM

This is how religion originated.

8. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Pujols is a blight…………..

9. materialman80 - Mar 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

The Cardinals season is in trouble and it hasn’t even began. As a lifelong Cards fan, that makes me sad.

Three legends off to Cooperstown