Mar 1, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
More bad news for the Cardinals, as Chris Carpenter left this afternoon’s start with a strained hamstring.
Given how depressing spring training has been for the Cardinals so far perhaps the injury being to Carpenter’s leg rather than his arm almost qualifies as good news.
Of course, in the same game reliever Mitchell Boggs departed with a strained lower back, so the hits just keep on coming for a Cardinals pitching staff already reeling from losing Adam Wainwright for the season to Tommy John elbow surgery.
Carpenter told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that “there was no way he could have gone on,” so at the very least he’s unlikely to make another start for a couple weeks.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)