Mar 1, 2011, 1:51 PM EST
It’ll be Carmona’s first Opening Day start, as CC Sabathia (twice), Cliff Lee, and Jake Westbrook got the nod during his first four seasons in the Indians’ rotation. Carmona is an easy call, as he’ll have more career starts than the rest of the rotation combined and bounced back from a pair of disastrous seasons to make the All-Star team last year.
Cleveland has used just four different Opening Day starters since 2000, with Sabathia starting five times followed by Bartolo Colon three times, Westbrook twice, and Lee once.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 44
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 18
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)