Josh Beckett after being hit on the head: “I feel better today”

Mar 1, 2011, 3:15 PM EST

josh-beckett-red-sox-spring AP

Josh Beckett was sent home from Red Sox camp yesterday with “mild concussion symptoms” after being struck on the head by an errant ball during batting practice and was held out of all activities today, but told Ian Browne of MLB.com that he’s feeling better:

How do I feel? I feel all right. I feel better today. I felt like I got hit in the head. I think getting rid of some of the headache stuff I had yesterday is probably good. No activity I guess today. You go through a bunch of different emotions. At first, you’re [mad] because you don’t know what happened. Then, I tried to walk and I got real dizzy and just kind of took a knee. You just kind of go through everything. I really didn’t even know what happened. I didn’t know if I got hit by a ball from another field or what.

Beckett still has some swelling behind his ear, but for now at least it looks like he’s avoided a serious injury. There’s no timetable for his return to the mound, but he seems unlikely to make a start before the weekend.

1. BC - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM

He feels better today, but does he know what day it is?

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I bet he’s “In the best shape of his life” after that smack to the head.

• JBerardi - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM

With what is now know about brain injuries, all of the old jokes about “oh, it’s ok that guy got hit in the head, he’s dumb” really need to be retired. There’s nothing funny about it anymore.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Ohhhhh, don’t be such a sally pants internet PC enforcer. He’s getting it 10 times worse in the locker room as I type this…..

• pisano - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:14 PM

You need to run that past Beckett, as I recall he’s head hunted many a batter. Maybe now he’ll be more sensitive to going up and in on someone, and it’s usually a Yankee as they usually kick his redneck ass.

• bigharold - Mar 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM

“oh, it’s ok that guy got hit in the head, he’s dumb” really need to be retired.”

No they don’t. What are yo a retired hall monitor?

• JBerardi - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Yes. I am a retired hall monitor. That is, of course, the reason I don’t approve of jokes relating to serious medical issues.

Seriously, how is “haha, he’ll be fine, he never was smart” about a concussed player any better than saying “haha, he’ll be fine, he never was that coordinated” about a guy with Parkinson’s disease? Please explain the difference for me.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 2, 2011 at 8:03 AM

JB, First of all who the heck are you quoting anyway? You replied to me with quotes I never said. So right off the bat you’re changing my words around to make what I said sound worse than it was. Lighten up dude.

3. cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Well, I can’t laugh at him any more. A shot behind the ear is a problem. That’s the ‘off’ button right there. Occipital & temporal lobes, and cerebellum of the brain all right there or directly adjacent and may be affected. Dizzyness is a bad sign. Ouch.

4. Detroit Michael - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Assuming he’s OK now, is it time to break out the Dizzy Dean punchline.

• Detroit Michael - Mar 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

One day later, apparently Beckett’s own manager felt free to crack a joke.

5. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 1, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Just like a Boston player, he’ feels just fine after being hit in the head, not to bright up there in Boston

• Ari Collins - Mar 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

If you’re going to make fun of someone’s intelligence, it’s a good idea to know how to type first.

(Now, inevitably, I’ll have made even more errors than the original poster.)

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM

nailed the routine & stuck the dismount Ari. That guy’s a menace to the common apostrophe.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester