Mar 1, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said a couple weeks back that he doesn’t want to talk about extending his expiring contract if a deal can’t be worked out before Opening Day. As if there was any doubt, we probably won’t have to worry about that deadline.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Manuel’s agent Pat Rooney had an hour-long meeting with Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro earlier today.
“It was productive,” Rooney told CSNPhilly.com after the session. “We’re getting closer. There was some give and take. Both sides made some movement, but we’re still a little ways away. They know our position so we’ll keep working on it.”
Rooney added that he left the talks feeling “hopeful” that a deal can be worked out by Opening Day.
Manuel has done just about everything right during his six-season tenure in Philadelphia, so an extension is something of a no-brainer. He has led the Phillies to a 544-428 record (.560) during the regular season, including four straight division titles, two NL pennants and a World Series championship in 2008.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)