Roy Halladay is working on new things? Really?

Mar 1, 2011, 9:36 AM EDT

Phillies starting pitcher Roy Halladay throws during their Grapefruit League baseball game in Dunedin

Another classic spring cliche is the pitcher who is “working on some things.”  Usually that’s just a way of explaining away a bad early March outing — “I wasn’t really pitching, I was just working on some things!” — but in the case of Roy Halladay, it sounds like he may actually be working on things. Jim Salisbury:

“There are a couple of things I want to try,” he said. “For any pitcher, you’re always trying to improve on what you already do. For me that’s always the case.”

Halladay wasn’t ready to reveal the new things he is working on this spring.

“I’m going to keep them in my pocket until I decide whether or not they work,” he said with a smile.

Let’s see, he already has four pitches that he can throw wherever he wants at any time in the count, so that doesn’t leave much in the way of new things to work on, does it?

Wait! I got it! He’s going to learn how to paste pathetic palookas with a powerful, paralyzing, perfect, pachydermous, percussion pitch!  Italian style!

1. phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

yea… 2 No hitters werent enough.. this year he wants 4… at least.

2. BC - Mar 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I think it would be supremely cool if he added a knuckleball to his arsenal.

3. trevorb06 - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Didn’t we hear this samething out of Halladay last year? And then sure enough he went and had one of his best seasons. I wouldn’t be surprised if Halladay has a career year this year. Just the intimidation factor alone of having 3 other aces pitching behind you will scare batters. Throw in the fact that batters will have to allocate their time differently studying film for 4 aces and one 5th starter who’d be a 3rd on most teams and that gives them less time to study Halladay. Let’s face it, nobody is going to burn the midnight oil on Kendrick’s film if he’s a 5th starter on a team with Halladay, Lee, Hamels or Oswalt, let alone all 4 of them. I bet Blanton even has a career year as batters won’t be paying near as much attention to him when the Phils come to their town and or they head to the land of horsemeat and velveeta.

• trevorb06 - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM

*Note: Every year for Halladay is basically a ‘career year’. I’m referring to a ‘Halladay career year’ as in an un-Godly, best season we’ve seen from any pitcher in the last 50-75 years.

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM

How quickly they forget in his prime Pedro.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

WOW!! I am as big a Phillies fan as their is, and I doubt Halladay will ever be able to match Pedro’s stretch from 1997 to 2003. To me, considering it happened during the Steroid era, it is the greatest 7 year stretch for a pitcher in the last 75 years…

118-36
        2.20ERA
        34CG
        11SO
        1408.0 IP
        1009 Hits(outrageous)
        315 walks
        1761 k’s
        213 ERA+
        0.940 WHIP
        11.3 K/9
        3 Cy Youngs, 2 2nd place and 1 3rd place finish.

Yeah, I don’t see anybody having another 7 year stretch that good anytime soon, even the 4 aces.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM

muahahahahahahaha!!! muaaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa!

Sorry, was that me? He had a nice outing in spring training. Actually all the Phills starting pitchers have so far, even Blanton looks sharp.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM

There you go taunting out loud again, Jonny.

But I agree…MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

How’s the knee?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Meh…this bionic echoing every time I move the leg is really annoying….

5. Panda Claus - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I heard he was experimenting to see if he could pitch effectively while wearing a World Series ring. You know, for after they win the one this year.

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

so what are all you Phillies fans going to do when the Phils dont win it all this season? you know Similar to the Heat.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’ll worry about that problem if it occurs. And who are these Heat you speak of?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Or the Wankers?

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Hey dipshit!!! Uhh, that’s all I have right now…..

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM

And I hope your jealousy burns like 1000 hot cattle branding irons upon your hindquarters.

How’s that??

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM

EZ Killa… im just saying… all you phillies fans are acting like they already won it all. i mean yes. hands down the best rotation in baseball.. second to none…. and noone is in their neighborhood. but c’mon… they still have holes in their lineup and bullpen. so your obvious answers are going to be that 4 out of 5 of the starters will be going 7 or 8 innings each minimum so the bullpen is not a worry. and the second answer is that due to the fact that the avg ERA for those 4 will most likely be arouns 2.5-3.0 the offense is not a worry either cause they will always score more than 3 runs. and no im not jealous in the least. i said since last year that i did not want Lee and i still stand by that. Doc is the best there is and i wish he were a Yankee but that was never happening anyway. Oswalt is declining and Hamels is not an ACE. good luck this season.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Hey Phukyouk!

No, really. I can’t speak for Philly fans, Just myself. But I think what you see is pure happiness from Philly fans. We’ve been repressed and depressed for a loooong time, You wouldn’t know about that. We finally have a team we can be proud of, one where we don’t have to admit sucks for a change. We aren’t just being dicks, we’re being dicks because we’re so happy we can’t control ourselves.
        When you walk outside and the sun hits your face, you don’t think anything of it, right? Well Philly fans would be more like a man locked in solitary for 30 years, being released and how he’d react to the sun finally hitting his face after all those years. Get over it, we’re going nuts and give a damn who doesn’t like it. Suck it up.

• phukyouk - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:02 PM

J5 – I dont get it. you guys are 3 yrs removed from a Ring. its not like you are the mets or Pirates or even the Padres. you are the Philies. NL east champs 3 yrs running. WS champs 2008 and followed up by a WS apperance in 2009. you make it seem like you guys havent seen a parade in decades. yea it sux not to win every gddamn year.. welcome to the world of the Yankees fan. but we always get ripped on for that. listen man… be happy you are not a Mets fan. that should be enough for you for right now. honestly i would love to see a 2009 rematch again this year but im not counting the Giants, Braves, Reds, Sox, Rangers out either. its a mistake.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Panda is clearly putting the cat ahead of the horse, but that is OK. I was that way once. Last year opened my eyes. The Phillies are clearly the best team in baseball. But that won’t win them squat come playoff time. Sure, I have no doubts they will win the NL Least. But once the playoffs start, there is no guarantee they will even get to the World Series. Last year, they lost to a team that was about as scrubby as it gets because they thought too highly of themselves and played like crap. This year, hopefully they learn, but I’m not counting any rings or anything until the 27th out of the 4th win in the World Series is recorded. I would advise my fellow Phillies fans to do the same.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Or the cart.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM

phukyouk, I never claimed once the phills would win it all, just so you know. I’m just super stoked to watch every single game played this season. Sure there’s more hope than ever before, but when hoping you still have to realize this. Crap in one hand and hope in the other hand, tell me which hand fills first. I know anything can happen. Panda isn’t even a Phillies fan, I think he’s a Baltimore fan.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hey, Fiorentino, leave the cat in front of the horse and the cart. Or is that going to provoke Mark Buehrle?

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Chris, you realize how dumb you sound suggesting the Phillies were better than the team that beat them right? I’m just curious. Would you say that the Eagles were better than the Packers? Or the Flyers were better than the Blackhawks? The beauty of sports is that eventually the talking stops and things are settled on the field (or the ice, or the court) and the results are final.

You can say they had a great season and a great team, and you can say that they look more impressive on paper, but you can’t say they were better. They lost in 6 games, and there was no bad call that lost them a game and no injury that changed the dynamic of the series. They were beaten by a better team. The Phillies were better than the Giants in 2009, and they may end up being better in 2011, but the Giants were the better team in 2010.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Halladay is a terrible pitcher and should retire b/c his best days are behind him…or he should go be a Bravo.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

A wise manbot once said:

“muahahahahahahaha!!! muaaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa!”

7. 12strikes - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM

It’s about time you try something new Doc, those double digit loses are just not acceptable!
    (yes, I’m joking)

8. stevejeltzjehricurl - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I think he’s trying to see whether he can develop X-ray vision. Hey, he needs a challenge.

• Panda Claus - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Perhaps blind-folded pitching would be the trick. Ties in better with his off-season hobby of carnival knife-throwing.

9. bleedgreen - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I heard he had to work on pitching with 1 eye covered because MLB said it was unfair for him to face opposing batters.

10. Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM

He’s working on switch pitching.

11. BC - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Maybe he’ll start throwing the gyroball…

12. Chipmaker - Mar 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Has he been throwing left-handed?

13. cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I watched that f*cker every season he’s been in the bigs; ever since he came up with the Blue Jays. Every season he was better, had something more, worked on what he was bad at, improved what he was good at. Learned to pitch to contact, saved his arm by dropping 3 – 4 mph, keeping it low, throwing breaking stuff and that ungodly cutter of his. When he says he’s been working on stuff, something to remember is that there’s a ripple effect to him; the other guys in the rotation will see, jut like the other Jays pitchers saw it. Of them all it’s Blanton who has the most to prove and the most to gain from watching this (when he can get his head out of the donut box). That’s what happened with AJ Burnett when they were on the Jays staff together. Burnett was never better than when he had Halliday to emulate. The Pilthies (damn their oily hides!) really are the best team in baseball and that dude is a big reason. Now, if he’s been working on hitting to go with his pitching…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Oily? Damn…I just ran out of shampoo, too…

And I’ll have you know that Big Joe does not have his head in a doughnut box!!!!! It’s a KFC bucket….

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Huh! I used to fry chicken for the Colonel when I was a sprat. Hate to think I was endangering the life of a ball player, even retrospectively. Tell him to put it down.

• soccermom17540 - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM

the guys actually looks, dare I say, thin, in pics out of Clearwater. Scary. Love him as a #5 though!

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM

soccermom17540: I have him taking over from Hamels or Oswalt at some point. He is not only due; he’s motivated. BTW: in Alberta you are considered ‘large’ if your crack the ice when you put your skates on to get to work in the morning.

• spudchukar - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I didn’t know the special spices in KFC, caused baldness, is it only the Extra Crispy recipe?

14. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 1, 2011 at 5:38 PM

maybe you should try winning some more playoff games, you douche bag!!

• cur68 - Mar 1, 2011 at 6:12 PM

and maybe you should post on these things when you grow up.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4753)