Mar 1, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
This was the rare spring training game that got more interesting as opposed to less interesting as it went on. And the reason for it was the very reason why I came here today: the Royals system is stocked.
But the system is still young, and for as good as Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer and all of the rest of the bumper crop of talent is, they still have to wait until the waning innings of an early spring training game to get in on the action.
And get in they did. In the bottom of the eighth, with the game tied 3-3, Lorenzo Cain doubled to left center. He was then singled in by Mike Moustakas. Eric Hosmer followed and walked before the inning ended. The Royals went up 4-3, and that lead held as they went on to win the game by that score. The final two outs of the game came on a diving catch by Lorenzo Cain in right center, who then doubled a runner off second, kicking off Wilbert Harrison’s “Kansas City” on the loudspeakers. It was sweet.
It’s going to be a long year, Royals fans. The team is going to lose a lot of games. But there is hope. And it’s not going to be long before your boys are winning a lot of games.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)