Mar 1, 2011, 6:22 PM EST
This was the rare spring training game that got more interesting as opposed to less interesting as it went on. And the reason for it was the very reason why I came here today: the Royals system is stocked.
But the system is still young, and for as good as Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer and all of the rest of the bumper crop of talent is, they still have to wait until the waning innings of an early spring training game to get in on the action.
And get in they did. In the bottom of the eighth, with the game tied 3-3, Lorenzo Cain doubled to left center. He was then singled in by Mike Moustakas. Eric Hosmer followed and walked before the inning ended. The Royals went up 4-3, and that lead held as they went on to win the game by that score. The final two outs of the game came on a diving catch by Lorenzo Cain in right center, who then doubled a runner off second, kicking off Wilbert Harrison’s “Kansas City” on the loudspeakers. It was sweet.
It’s going to be a long year, Royals fans. The team is going to lose a lot of games. But there is hope. And it’s not going to be long before your boys are winning a lot of games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)