Mar 1, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
“We’ll probably know something in the next few days,” said Melvin. “We’ve talked briefly (about a multi-year deal) but I don’t want to get into that.”
The 28-year-old McGehee is the only unsigned player on the team’s 40-man roster. He remains under team control through 2014 and will be arbitration-eligible for the first time following the 2011 season.
McGehee batted .285/.337/.464 with 23 home runs and 104 RBI as the Brewers’ everyday third baseman last season. He has a .291/.346/.477 batting line and an .824 OPS over 1,064 plate appearances since being claimed off waivers from the Cubs in October of 2008.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 4
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 11
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 29
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3