Mar 1, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
“We’ll probably know something in the next few days,” said Melvin. “We’ve talked briefly (about a multi-year deal) but I don’t want to get into that.”
The 28-year-old McGehee is the only unsigned player on the team’s 40-man roster. He remains under team control through 2014 and will be arbitration-eligible for the first time following the 2011 season.
McGehee batted .285/.337/.464 with 23 home runs and 104 RBI as the Brewers’ everyday third baseman last season. He has a .291/.346/.477 batting line and an .824 OPS over 1,064 plate appearances since being claimed off waivers from the Cubs in October of 2008.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (147)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)