Mar 1, 2011, 7:31 PM EST
“We’ll probably know something in the next few days,” said Melvin. “We’ve talked briefly (about a multi-year deal) but I don’t want to get into that.”
The 28-year-old McGehee is the only unsigned player on the team’s 40-man roster. He remains under team control through 2014 and will be arbitration-eligible for the first time following the 2011 season.
McGehee batted .285/.337/.464 with 23 home runs and 104 RBI as the Brewers’ everyday third baseman last season. He has a .291/.346/.477 batting line and an .824 OPS over 1,064 plate appearances since being claimed off waivers from the Cubs in October of 2008.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 31
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 37
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)