Mar 2, 2011, 7:52 PM EST
There’s no word yet on what the Tribe might be getting in return from the M’s, but we can safely guess that it won’t be much.
Laffey, a 16th-round pick in the 2003 MLB Amateur Draft, posted an underwhelming 4.53 ERA and 28/28 K/BB ratio in 55.2 innings for the Indians last season, serving as both a starter and reliever. His numbers will probably look a little better in Seattle, where Safeco Field can be awfully friendly to pitchers, but he is far from a promising pitcher.
The 25-year-old southpaw was being groomed as a potential member of the Indians’ starting rotation this spring in camp. It’s not yet clear how the Mariners will try to use him.
The trade cleared a spot on Cleveland’s 40-man roster for freshly-signed reliever Chad Durbin.
UPDATE: According to the Indians’ official Twitter feed, minor league utilityman Matt Lawson is headed to the Indians. A fellow 25-year-old, he posted an .811 OPS in 118 games at the Double-A level last season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)