Mar 2, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Teixeira explained the move by saying:
Sometimes, business relationships just run their course. Now that the contract is over with, I don’t want to be “Scott Boras client.” I want to be Mark Teixeira, baseball player, helping this team win championships. Scott did a great job getting me my contract. I wanted to be in New York from the beginning, and everything that I’ve asked for has come through so far. And from here on out, there’s no reason to worry about the contract. It’s all about winning championships and helping out the community.
It’s unclear why remaining with Boras would have precluded Teixeira from “winning championships and helping out the community,” but Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger reports that the Yankees first baseman “has contemplated a switch for more than a year, even hiring another agency to handle his off-field charitable efforts.”
Alex Rodriguez also parted ways with Boras last year, but the powerful agent recently lured Robinson Cano away from another agent and the actual monetary loss here doesn’t figure to be particularly significant. As the above quote from Teixeira notes, he’s signed with the Yankees through 2016 thanks to an eight-year, $180 million contract that was negotiated by Boras. The agent’s commission on that massive deal doesn’t change and by the time Teixeira is ready for another contract he’ll be 37 years old, so the potential for a big payday for his next representative is slim.
Still, it’s an interesting move considering Teixeira’s explanation.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)