Scenes from Spring Training: Oh no, there goes Tokyo

Mar 2, 2011, 2:15 PM EDT

IMG_1610

And now, stuff I thought about and observed before learning that Coco Crisp was arrested for DUI last night

I know I’m dwelling on this a lot, but the extent to which Hideki Matsui dominates things here at Athletics’ camp cannot be overstated. From the press box to the on-the-field warmups and even down to the litter you see on the sidewalk outside the ballpark, everything is about Godzilla here.

I don’t envy these guys on the Matsui beat.  Talk to U.S. beat writers who cover a given team and you learn that it’s not easy coming up with a new angle for a new story every day, and they’ve got 25 guys plus minor leaguers and coaches to choose from. Now apply that to the a given Japanese beat writer who has to come up with a new angle every single day for one guy.  And figure in the fact that, rather than the 3-5 beat reporters Johnny Beat Writer has to compete with, the Japanese guys have 20. And they’re doing it over 5,000 miles from home. Poor sods. But I guess it beats working in an office.

They didn’t get to swarm Matsui at his locker this morning, however. The clubhouse was closed due to the annual meeting with MLB Security. Those intrepid souls go from camp to camp this time of year warning ballplayers about the dangers of shysters, bunco artists, grifters, fast women, drug dealers, demon drink and — most of all — Twitter and Facebook. Play cards and carry on all you want, young players, but dear God, watch what you Tweet.

I wandered from the closed clubhouse door and on toward the field when I saw this fellow behind a bench on the third base concourse:

I can haz Trevor Cahill‘s autograph?

Then I got on to the field and I saw this:

Can’t help it. I’m a sucker for the equipment-bag-on-freshly-cut-grass-as-the-sun-comes-up-over-the-ballpark shot.  Oh, and I’m also a sucker for anything Rickey Henderson-related:

And the actual Rickey Henderson watching Athletics’ players doing base running drills is more than a little Rickey Hederson-related. “Rickey thinks that Rickey can still run better than any of y’all,” Rickey did not say but I imagine he was thinking.

1. bloodysock - Mar 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Ricky can’t believe Coco got pinched for DUI last night.

2. BC - Mar 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Some good Rickey-isms:

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I freaking LOVE #2…awesome. Reminded me of the story about Manny being Manny. Someone said they were in his car with him once, and they opened the glove compartment and there were a bunch of his UNCASHED checks in there…like for hundreds of thousands of dollars. And Manny was just like, yeah oh well, I’ll get to cashing them. Great stuff.

3. Old Gator - Mar 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM

現実になるかもしれないあなたの恐れを有する。 そして現実である ゴジラ がある。

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Damn! Now I want to know which symbols stand for horned toad. How you do this dirty trick Gator? I wanna translate beaver.

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

海狸!

• Old Gator - Mar 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM

That wasn’t difficult, was it? Here’s dire beaver, as long as we’re talking monsters: ものすごいビーバー

The Japanese text above says “You have your fear, which might become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.” Ogata said that to Serizawa when he and Emiko were trying to pry the formula for the oxygen destroyer out of him. Serizawa was reluctant because he understood that the market for antioxidants would be huge someday, but eventually gave in. But this is more complicated than it sounds. That line – which I first heard when I saw the film in 1956 as a child – was all the philosophy I’ve ever needed. However, it was a dubbed in line and was never actually a part of the original Japanese dialog. By translating it back into Japanese, I have constructed what Jorge Luis Borges, in his short ficcione “Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius,” called a hron. This may be a bit convoluted, but trust me, it has legs.

• cur68 - Mar 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM

当心,或有角蟾蜍将采取脚背你。冰雹的严重海狸!

• kalinedrive - Mar 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Hmm, WorldLingo translates OldGator’s symbols to: “It possesses your fear perhaps it becomes actuality. And there is Godzilla which is actuality.” which is pretty close to what Gator said, but the last post by cur68 comes out as “This heart, 或 possession angular 蟾 蜍 military officer dice taking leg back 你.冰 雹 The mark 严 it is heavy the sea raccoon dog!”

This I do not understand.

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, well, beware the raccoon dog, s’all I’m sayin’. Kill ya.

• kalinedrive - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I’m hip, man. The sea raccoon dog sounds dangerous! I’m taking my leg back!

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM

This is why I was surprised the Yanks let him go. I mean the guy is a total cash cow. He’s easily free if not profitable to have on your team.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM

If we kept everyone who is still currently playing, we’d have like 15 DHs, fine except for those intra league games where out pitchers get hurt.
      And before you say, we’d have 19 or so in a couple of years.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto