Mar 2, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT
I’m in the press box of Phoenix Municipal Stadium. I can’t say for sure how long I’ll be here, however, because real estate is at a premium. Most of these boxes have two rows. The first row is for the beat writers who cover the team every day, the official scorer and people like that. The second row has spaces for reporters covering the visiting team and a few empty slots. I usually slide into an empty slot.
Here the second row — a full 15-20 spaces, which is large for Arizona — is dedicated to the Matsui Brigade. As in, the Japanese media covering Hideki Matsui. I’ve heard tell of the size of that contingent, but seeing the kind of real estate theyoccupy is something to behold. For now I’m in a visiting media slot. There a five of them. The Indians are the visitors, so I may be safe. If Paul Hoynes or Jordan Bastain kick me out of my slot, I’ll have no reason to complain.
Get a load of this stadium, though. It was built in 1964. That poured concrete facade is the tell. It reminds me of a government building in Brasilia or something. Which isn’t a criticism, because I rather like government buildings of that era for some strange reason. They can be hideous in their Brutalism, but they’re comforting to me. They remind me of elementary school. Heck, they remind me of Denney Hall on the Ohio State campus, where I probably spent most of my in-class time as an undergrad. I’m digging Phoenix Municipal.
Oh, and this doesn’t hurt:
I’m heading down to the clubhouse. I promise to not to tell you if I see anything interesting.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)