Mar 2, 2011, 9:17 AM EDT
Remember how Frank McCourt tried to sell off the Dodgers’ broadcasting rights to FOX in an effort to raise cash to save his ownership of the team? Yeah, it seems that, given that the Dodgers are community property, Jamie McCourt has an interest in all of that and a right to obtain any information she can about the would-be deal. And she’s exercising that right:
Frank McCourt has failed to protect the financial interests of his ex-wife, Jamie, in part by negotiating a “secret deal” with Fox that “would have endangered” the value of the Dodgers’ broadcast contracts, attorneys for Jamie McCourt alleged in a court filing Tuesday.
Her attorneys asked that Frank be ordered to provide to Jamie extensive financial information regarding the Dodgers’ business operations, including documents related to negotiations with television outlets and efforts to obtain additional financing for the cash-strapped franchise.
The court set a hearing for April 11.
The problem: what if the Dodgers could get way, way more money for their broadcasting rights by, say, starting their own cable network? Or selling to Comcast or some broadcast network at a higher rate? Wouldn’t that benefit the team and its beneficial owners — like Jamie McCourt — way more than some fire sale of TV rights to FOX? Of course it would. And Frank thus has an obligation to take such moves to Jamie and her lawyers to get their say-so. Doing it like he tried to do it could give a lady the impression that Frank was looking for quick cash without anyone knowing about it. Perish the thought!
In other news — as Dodger Divorce explains in great detail — all of this is going to cause Frank to have a magnifying glass shoved where the sun don’t shine. Financially speaking.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 18
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)