Mar 2, 2011, 9:17 AM EDT
Remember how Frank McCourt tried to sell off the Dodgers’ broadcasting rights to FOX in an effort to raise cash to save his ownership of the team? Yeah, it seems that, given that the Dodgers are community property, Jamie McCourt has an interest in all of that and a right to obtain any information she can about the would-be deal. And she’s exercising that right:
Frank McCourt has failed to protect the financial interests of his ex-wife, Jamie, in part by negotiating a “secret deal” with Fox that “would have endangered” the value of the Dodgers’ broadcast contracts, attorneys for Jamie McCourt alleged in a court filing Tuesday.
Her attorneys asked that Frank be ordered to provide to Jamie extensive financial information regarding the Dodgers’ business operations, including documents related to negotiations with television outlets and efforts to obtain additional financing for the cash-strapped franchise.
The court set a hearing for April 11.
The problem: what if the Dodgers could get way, way more money for their broadcasting rights by, say, starting their own cable network? Or selling to Comcast or some broadcast network at a higher rate? Wouldn’t that benefit the team and its beneficial owners — like Jamie McCourt — way more than some fire sale of TV rights to FOX? Of course it would. And Frank thus has an obligation to take such moves to Jamie and her lawyers to get their say-so. Doing it like he tried to do it could give a lady the impression that Frank was looking for quick cash without anyone knowing about it. Perish the thought!
In other news — as Dodger Divorce explains in great detail — all of this is going to cause Frank to have a magnifying glass shoved where the sun don’t shine. Financially speaking.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)