Carlos Ruiz’s wife gave birth exactly nine months after Roy Halladay’s perfect game

Mar 3, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

carlos ruiz and roy halladay phillies perfect game AP

Carlos Ruiz‘s wife gave birth yesterday and, as Bryan Graham of SI.com amusingly points out, the couple’s second child arrived “nine months to the day of Roy Halladay‘s perfect game.”

Even better, the baby boy’s name is Carlos. But not Carlos Jr., because Ruiz’s first son already got that name when he was born eight years ago. Seriously.

It’s not quite George Foreman naming all five of his sons George, but it’s pretty close.

I’d have voted for “Chooch” as the name, obviously.

1. BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM

No coincidence at all. None. ;-)

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM

He was firing bullets that night. Really pounding the zone. Halladay I mean. What did you think I meant?

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Look, let’s all be glad it wasn’t Chooch himself that got pregnant after the way Roy was dealing that day. Look at them hugging! Don’t they look happy?

3. clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

But its not so interesting since it takes 9 and a half months from conception to birth for humans.

• clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM

how is this thumbs down? because its correct, or human reproduction is icky?

• anythingbutyanks - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Assuming a full term delivery, that is, then it is 40 weeks or nine and a half months. It’s just a nice coincidence, so it’s okay if you decide not to get technical about it, a’ight?

• homelanddefense - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I read the story

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Well, 40 weeks would technically be 10 months, which puts it back to April 29, which was an off day after a nine-game road trip. So he WAS celebrating something…just not Doc’s perfecto.

Go ahead…I await the plethora of thumbs down votes!!!!!!!!!!! Bring it!!!!!

• writtenbyross - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM

You do know babies can be (and 2nd children often are) born early. Not all pregnancies are exactly 40 weeks. (If you want to get technical.)

• clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM

First off, yes, I know.

Second, so what? its not interesting that a baby was born 9 months after an event. It has no relationship.

Third, tell your second baby theory to my second kid who was 2 weeks late. He owes me some vacation days that I can’t get back.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Well, since this was his second…and his wife’s first…well, there’s THAT….

4. stevejeltzjehricurl - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I’m thinking the middle name should be Roy.

It’s good thing women can only get pregnant once every nine months — with this pitching staff, Chooch’s wife might have been in real trouble.

5. anythingbutyanks - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM

It would be more interesting if this had been one of the players from the Marlins, since we could then say that Roy Halladay was the first pitcher to throw a perfect game the same day as when an opposing player made it all the way home. Of course, we would assume that no players from the Marlins even made it to first base that night…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM

What base is self-manipulation considered?

• Panda Claus - Mar 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM

You’d probably need to ask a chiropractor that question.

6. sportsdrenched - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

My biggest problem with concidence was it was a road game.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM

And the second game in that series…and the fifth game in a nine game road trip…with no off days….

7. Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM

But, hey, congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Chooch and the Choochlings.

8. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM

puerto rican peoples b craZy………….. my sister in law work’s with three bros all named carlos, their mother didn’t know any other names, what can you do.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Seriously…can you say ANYthing that doesn’t smack of racism?

• bleedeaglesgreen - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Especially considering the fact he’s not even puerto rican….he’s actually from panama, you should really check your facts before attempting to make a bad joke in poor taste

9. heynerdlinger - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM

There’s probably no better way to demonstrate that you’re a bunch of dudes sitting in your mothers’ basements than chatting on a baseball message board about human gestation. Incorrectly, I might add.

The 40-week duration is unrelated to conception, and I encourage you to look it up for yourselves so that I don’t have to type “menstrual cycle” here.

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I warn you guys if you look this up with a vague search term you better wipe your browser history, cookies, and cache because it WILL NOT BE PRETTY. Some weird people out there…

• clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I assure you I have no idea what you are talking about.

how is the “40 weeks” unrelated?

I agree that the way to figure out a due date is to identify the mother’s last menstral period and add 40 weeks. But that seems to me to be, um, you know, related.

My point is a woman pregnant for exactly 9 months has the child pre term, so the coincidence is not amusing or interesting. Its an unrelated coincidence.

Its just as likely the baby was conceived the day of Dallas Braden’s perfect game.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I hear ARoid was excited that day, too.

• Gobias Industries - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Wait, wait, wait. Hold the phone. Let’s start over here: where do babies come from?!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM

If Calvin and Hobbes taught me anything, it was that babies came from Sears—though Calvin was a blue light special at K-Mart.

10. Jonny 5 - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM

That’s awesome. Has it aired anywhere? I haven’t seen it on TV yet.

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I knew it ! They look so happy together, don’t they?

• Jonny 5 - Mar 4, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I haven’t seen it either. Don’t think so..

11. superpriebe - Mar 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Based on the title, I really thought this article was going to insinuate that Halladay was ‘celebrating’ with his catcher’s wife.

My next thought was…what kind of operation is running a department that comes up with a factoid such as this?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4864)