Mar 3, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Ronald Belisario thinks he’ll be joining the Dodgers as soon as he finds his passport and his agent thinks he’ll sit out the entire season due to visa issues, but whatever the case he’s a no-show at spring training and has now been placed on the restricted list.
That doesn’t necessarily change Belisario’s status with the team any, but as Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com writes it does allow the Dodgers to remove him from the 40-man roster and, at some point, add another player in his place.
Belisario was also placed on the restricted list for “personal reasons” in the middle of last season and ended up missing two months, with various reports indicating that he spent time in a substance abuse program.
Players can be placed on the restricted list for as long as two consecutive seasons, during which time their team retains their rights, so this is basically an “if he ever shows up again, we still have him” move by the Dodgers.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)