Mar 3, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Elijah Dukes’ big-league career is likely over, but the former Rays and Nationals outfielder continues to make headlines for his off-field behavior.
Dukes was arrested Wednesday night in Florida for allegedly slapping his pregnant ex-girlfriend multiple times during a verbal altercation, with Ileana Morales of the St. Petersburg Times reporting that Dukes also has outstanding warrants for contempt of court and driving with a suspended license.
According to Morales the 26-year-old former top-ranked prospect was charged with aggravated battery and is being held in jail without bond. While the alleged battery occurred at a motel, the Associated Press reports that Dukes drove to his mother’s house and was arrested there “without incident.”
Dukes was suspended multiple times while playing in the Rays’ minor-league system–including a 2007 incident in which his ex-wife accused him of threatening her and their child–and the Nationals released him following the 2009 season for what was clearly something other than purely the “baseball reasons” they cited at the time.
Pretty safe to say he’s a bigger bust as a human being than he was as a baseball player.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)