Josh Beckett cleared for three-inning simulated game Friday

Mar 3, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT

josh-beckett-red-sox-concussion AP

Two days after experiencing “mild concussion symptoms” from an errant batting practice ball to the head Josh Beckett has been cleared for a “normal day” of workouts and is scheduled to throw a three-inning simulated game tomorrow.

Beckett passed various brain function tests yesterday and barring a setback he’ll be lined up to start Tuesday, according to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

Not only did manager Terry Francona joke about Beckett’s “normal” brain function yesterday, MacPherson writes (and NESN has video showing) that Beckett arrived at camp today with a neon yellow hat and orange reflective vest for Red Sox staffer Ino Guerrero, who hit the ball that struck Beckett on the side of the head.

1. BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Would the tests have found any activity BEFORE he got hit with the ball?

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I’m just glad that hillbilly is going to be ok. Don’t think he could have stood any more reduction of IQ points without slipping into a trance every time he had to pitch and chew gum.

2. 8man - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

….and may actually impress if the rest of the team can refrain from blasting him in the dome with the pill….

In a related note, the Yawkey Way Store is now pimping orange and yellow safety gear with Red Sox logos on it.

3. phukyouk - Mar 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM

“Beckett passed various brain function tests yesterday”

I would still LOVE to know what these were exactly. man to be a fly on the wall

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Doctor: “How many fingers am I holding up?”
      Beckett: “34?”
      Doctor: “You’re good.”

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I pitched a three-inning simulated game in my living room the other day. I beat my kid in Wii baseball.

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Hey! The Yankers could use some pitching. I hear they pay real well. You should call them.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I’m trying to instill proper values in my kid, i.e., no amount of money is worth signing with the Evil Empire.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4868)