Mar 3, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT
Koji Uehara won’t throw for at least a few days after getting a cortisone injection today in his right elbow.
Uehara told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the injury “is not even serious” and described it as merely “arm fatigue,” but the closer candidate has had elbow problems in the past and re-signed with the Orioles for just $3 million in guaranteed money in part because other teams likely had concerns about his holding up physically.
According to Ghiroli “apparently he gets these pretty frequently so the team isn’t overly concerned at this point.”
Uehara is widely viewed as the favorite to claim ninth-inning duties, but with former closer Kevin Gregg also in the mix he definitely won’t be handed the job.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)