Phillies GM says Red Sox are “the best team in baseball”

Mar 3, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT

Ruben Amaro Jr. AP

Prior to today’s Red Sox-Phillies spring training game Philadelphia general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told reporters that he believes Boston is “the best team in baseball.”

He added: “I think, the combo of speed, power, bullpen … they’re a helluva ball club. They don’t have a lot of holes.”

Bookmakers disagree, at least right now, as the over/under on the Red Sox’s win total is 95 and the over/under on the Phillies’ win total is 97. Of course, if Amaro thinks the NL is significantly weaker than the AL and 95 wins in the tougher league is superior to 97 wins in the easier league then maybe bookies agree.

Either way, it’s pretty clear that Boston-Philadelphia (or Philadelphia-Boston) will be the most popular World Series matchup prediction this year.

1. frankvzappa - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM

as much as i hate the Phillies, it will be nice to watch them lose the WS to the Sox

• dexterismyhero - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:26 AM

as much as i hate the Red Sox, it will be great to watch the Phillies kick the sh*t out of them in the WS.

2. BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM

If Boston gets decent years out of Beckett and Lester, they’ll face Philly in the World Series.

• bobwsc - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

a big ‘if’ on both of them contributing decent years, plus the Dice-K factor. and Lester and Clay are only a shoulder strain away from disaster (and Doubront, the expected call-up in case someone got hurt, could have a serious elbow issue in the works). too much can happen.

• baseballisboring - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Lester isn’t the issue, he was the best pitcher in the AL East last year. If Beckett and Lackey can both make 30 starts we’ll be fine.

3. clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM

With a Boston-Philadelphia World Series, the question becomes-Who will Ben Franklin root for?

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM

With the team that could father more children

• Ari Collins - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Man, you beat me to it. Also worded it better than my idea.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

He’s obviously a Phightins Phan. He still lives here—hell, he just married Betsy Ross about three years ago.

4. uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM

It’s called managing expectations by Amaro.

• Ari Collins - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM

We agree!

/world ends

5. Jonny 5 - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I agree. With Ari as well? Huh……

6. uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Guy’s come on give me a break. How can anyone disagree with me?

• clydeserra - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I don’t get some of the thumbs up thumbs down things.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

For that, you get a thumbs down. :(

7. psousa1 - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM

So sick of this ‘Lou Holtz – we’re awful I don’t know how we can compete’ crap from Amaro and from Cashman. With those payrolls and you don’t think you’re the best then look in the mirror.

• uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you are NOT a Yankees or Phillies fan. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

• Ari Collins - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Yankees and Phillies fans shouldn’t disagree with this. If you’re a GM with a high payroll, and you don’t think you’re a good team, you’ve done something wrong.

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure Amaro and Cashman know they’ve got a top team on their hands. Anything they say to lower expectations is just good PR.

• uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Ari – is there a difference between your reference to Amaro and Cashman thinking they have a “good” team. As opposed to psousa1’s comment they they should think they have the “best” team?

• Ari Collins - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Yeah, I shouldn’t have said “good team”. I suppose the only team that really should be faulted for having the most resources without having the best team on paper is the Yankees, but it’s not that far off. Sure, they spend money a little less efficiently than some teams, but they spend it fairly efficiently, and if you have the money to burn, you’d probably be wrong not to use it, even if it’s an inefficient use.

The teams that really need to look themselves in the mirror are the Mets and Angels and Cubs and Mariners, who have spent a lot of money for very little gain. But, then again, two of those four have already looked in the mirror and replaced the management who spent so badly. And I’d imagine that Hendry and Reagins are on the hot seat.

Still a stupid statement for a team to make, but good PR, so whatever.

tl;dr yeah, you’re right

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

So, let me get this straight…if he had said the Phightins will win it all, he’s smug and conceited. But you criticize him for expressing what could very well be construed as a variation on “we still have 162 games to play, and win 11 more after that?” Where did he sy this we’re awful and can’t compete crap to which you refer?

I’m so sick of this double standard crap.

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM

So when Jimmy Rollins says the Phils are the best team in baseball, he’s a douche. When Amaro (or Teixeira) says his team ISN’T the best team in baseball, he’s a douche.

How about letting a single actual game happen before we say who will win the WS.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Damn…that makes agreeing with two Wanker fans on the same post. That doesn’t happen very often. I feel a little woozy….

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM

sabbathiwouldbe; hey if we let a little thing like actual games intrude on us going off like we know all and could even fix the cubs if only someone let us, most of us would never type anything. Placing our soap boxes so as we can get onto our high horses is what some of us do for entertainment till actual ball games start. Oh yeah, and, in my opinion, Aaron misspelled “Toronto” & “Blue Jays” several times when he tried to quote Amaro.

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM

How about they’re all douches?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Spoken like the sore winner you’ve been acting like since November. Wow…so much anger for a fan of the team who won the World Series—their first in over half a century and their first in the city they moved to in the interim. Lighten up, Francis, and enjoy it, ’cause you don’t know when (or even if, right Cubbie fans?) it’ll happen again.

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 4, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Some people are just douches and it has nothing to do with winning or losing.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Well, it’s good to see you’re being rational about calling them douches. Chill out and enjoy the win, man.

• seeingwhatsticks - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM

So not liking the Phillies makes me a sore winner? I just think they are douches. They’d be douches if they won every year, they’d be douches if they lost every year, and they’d be douches if they worked blue collar jobs. Like I said, some people are just douches.

And I enjoy the win. Every single day.

9. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM

dude is covering his butt because when this team is proven to be a circus show and the bill has to be paid for this pitching staff they will run him out of filthy-delphia really quick.this team is getting old really quick.

10. Davidw7 - Mar 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM

I’m neither a Red Sox or Phillies fan but I would be lying if I said I’m not going to watch a few of their games this year. The talent both teams have is amazing. There will be some great games from the pair of them this year, and it’s easy to see and say that they’ll meet each other in the fall classic. Regardless of anything I’m just ready to watch some ball!!

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM

You spelled “Blue Jays” wrong. Let me help; Blue Jays & Phillies. Youa re going to watch those teams. You’re welcome.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

And Doc will be quite torn as he celebrates with the Phightins after Ryno 2 gets a Series winning knock, and proceeds to dance around the bases, giggling like a giddy little school girl, right? But we’re getting a bit ahead of ourselves here….

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM

getting ahead of myself is what I do best.

11. JBerardi - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Did Amaro go on to point out that the ocean is wet or that the sky is blue?

1. H. Pence (2133)