Mar 3, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Prior to today’s Red Sox-Phillies spring training game Philadelphia general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told reporters that he believes Boston is “the best team in baseball.”
He added: “I think, the combo of speed, power, bullpen … they’re a helluva ball club. They don’t have a lot of holes.”
Bookmakers disagree, at least right now, as the over/under on the Red Sox’s win total is 95 and the over/under on the Phillies’ win total is 97. Of course, if Amaro thinks the NL is significantly weaker than the AL and 95 wins in the tougher league is superior to 97 wins in the easier league then maybe bookies agree.
Either way, it’s pretty clear that Boston-Philadelphia (or Philadelphia-Boston) will be the most popular World Series matchup prediction this year.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)