Today could be judgment day for Oliver Perez

Mar 3, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

New York Mets Workout Sessions Getty Images

Andy Martino of the Daily News says that two major league sources are telling him that if Oliver Perez doesn’t show “significant improvement” over his last outing when he takes the hill this afternoon that the Mets are going to cut him.  This despite Terry Collins’ statement yesterday that Perez will have additional starts beyond today.

I kind of don’t give a darn about Perez, but this may be an interesting test of Collins.  Martino notes that Jerry Manuel used to ruffle feathers on the team by talking publicly about a player’s job being in trouble, and casts Collins’ statement yesterday as a different kind of approach.

And it is. But isn’t it also the case that, if Martino is right and Perez is released, that Collins is either (a) undermined as a guy who has any kind of authority to speak about such matters; or (b) shown to have been something less than trustworthy based on his comment yesterday?

I’m guessing in the case of Perez, however, most guys on the Mets will forgive either (a) or (b) if it means getting Ollie off the team. Between his performance and his obstinate refusal to take a minor league assignment last year when he badly, badly needed one, they can’t be big fans of his at this point.

1. uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Over the last few days or so a lot has appeared about about shall I say back of the end rotation pitchers and that would be a compliment to some of these guys.
    I would like to pose the following question if your team was in need of a 5th starter (even if it was just a body to eat innings) which of the following would you choose:
    A) Oliver Perez ; B) Jeremy Bonderman ; C) Freddy Garcia ; D) Bartolo Colon ; E) Kevin Millwood ; F) Sergio Mitre

I was going to add Barry Zito, but in all fairness he’s probably the class of this group, although that may not be saying very much. So you have to make your choice from one of the others.

• BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Assuming he wants to pitch this year, I’d go with B. Second choice C. This choice F. I’d make myself fourth choice – I throw a decent knuckleball.

• uyf1950 - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I’m thinking you really, really want to get rid of Perez.

• BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’m thinking that you’re really, really, right.

• Matthew Flint - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I think I go with Millwood or Mitre. Millwood you know what to expect, which isn’t great but consistant. Mitre has all the upside in the group.

• Alex K - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:22 AM

You know you’re looking at a shitty situation when Sergio Mitre has the most upside of a group.

• BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I actually think Bonderman has the most upside. He’s been an effective starter before, he’s relatively young. He has to stay healthy and may just need some adjustments.

• Alex K - Mar 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM

But he has shoulder surgery. Who knows if his arm will ever be the same. Shoulders are much dicier than elbows when it come to cutting on them.

• cur68 - Mar 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I’ll throw my hat in Freddy’s corner. He’s crafty, got 4 pitches ( though I don’t think we can legitimately call his fastball FAST; more like it looks like it should be fast but … not so much), one of which is a good change up (though not brilliant he made this pitch work for him last year), he’s active as a pitcher, and he’s not Ollie. Mitre tries to power pitch too many guys (although that might just be Posada’s pitch calling). If he ever showed an inclination for junk balling a bit, then he’d be the guy. Freddy’s on that page already. One caveat to Freddy; needs some more pop on that slider. It’s too slow, but that’s a matter of practice since he easily has the arm to get the speed right.

2. BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!
    He pitched two shutout innings, giving up 2 hits!
    We’re doomed……

• Old Gator - Mar 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m sorry, that’s just too, too funny. BC, please understand that in no way does the sublime hilarity of all this obviate the deep affection and sympathy I feel for you. Still and all, oooooheeeheheeeeheeehooooHAAAAAhehehehehehhooooohahahahahaha….

• BC - Mar 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Ppphthpphpthphtpthhthpphthhpthhh….. ;-P

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3233)