Bye-bye Arizona

Mar 4, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

IMG_1693

It has been an utterly fantastic nine days down here in Arizona, but alas, it is time for me to head back to the Great Midwest. But before I let that big ol’ jet airliner take me far away, let’s take a look back at what we learned during this little odyssey through the Cactus League:

With that I gotta catch the Super Chief back east to home and hearth.  It’s been real, folks.  Next time you hear from me I’ll be back in my fortified compound on the outskirts of Columbus, Ohio speaking truth to power or whatever it is I like to pretend that I do around here.

See you next year, Spring Training.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM

In 2001 I seriously considered vacationing in Phoenix to insure warmth as escape from the torturous northern winter. It never came about, and at the time it did not seem the baseball extravaganza that occurs there now based upon your expansive and reliable coverage. Good thing,too, because I may have become a real estate speculator, which would had led me to ill fortune.
    Had also not been apprised of the effects of the dreaded horned toad, which could have led to my demise.
    Subsequently national events caused considerable introspection and uphaeval to the point where even baseball crowned an ersatz champion, much to my chagrin.
    Now is the time to re-think Arizona, however all external conditions prove that perhaps it is the only thing succeeding. After March, not much there, so I’ll see you in the Grapefruit League if you’re there next year.
    Thanks for the insights.
    2012 Spring Training tickets availale yet for 28 time World Champs?

2. BC - Mar 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM

The real question, Craig, is whether you got over to the Heart Attack Grill.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I hear they’re looking for a new owner.

But since Craig said his wife would kill him for eating whatever the hell that was in the picture, methinks she wouldn’t be too enthused with the idea of going to that place.

• Detroit Michael - Mar 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM

or the Honey Bears Barbeque a bit west of the Oakland Athletics’ camp

3. Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM

“Next time you hear from me I’ll be back in my fortified compound on the outskirts of Columbus, Ohio, speaking truth to power or whatever it is I like to pretend that I do around here.”

Dick Cheney? Is that you?

4. The Sports Minion - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for providing us with a glimpse into spring training, much appreciated, you provided some fun stories. Specifically, I appreciate any comparison to the Fonze & your heart attack chili dog. I’ll be heading out to see White Sox/Dodgers next weekend, anything you recommend?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5493)