Mar 4, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Silva told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that he was unaware the Cubs had made nine errors in their first three spring training games, so when he returned to the dugout and said they needed to “start making plays” following Ramirez’s error the third baseman “took it personally.”
In spring training, it’s a little harder because we don’t watch every single game. I didn’t even know my team had made that many errors either. That was a very hard inning, not only for my team or for my coaches, but for me. I was trying to do something here, and I gave up those two homers, and I came to the dugout, I tried to take it easy, to relax, to let it go.
The only thing I said was “we have to start making plays here.” He took it personally. I know it was my mistake. It was my fault because you don’t say anything. But he took it personally and that’s what happened. We argued in the dugout, and everything stayed there.
Silva also explained that his having to compete for a spot in the Cubs’ rotation had him on edge after the “absolutely brutal outing.” Manager Mike Quade doesn’t seem to think the incident was a big deal and Silva seems to be handling it pretty well after the fact, so assuming Ramirez isn’t holding a grudge Carlos Zambrano can reclaim his status as the most likely Cub to throw a punch in the dugout.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)