Mar 4, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Silva told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that he was unaware the Cubs had made nine errors in their first three spring training games, so when he returned to the dugout and said they needed to “start making plays” following Ramirez’s error the third baseman “took it personally.”
In spring training, it’s a little harder because we don’t watch every single game. I didn’t even know my team had made that many errors either. That was a very hard inning, not only for my team or for my coaches, but for me. I was trying to do something here, and I gave up those two homers, and I came to the dugout, I tried to take it easy, to relax, to let it go.
The only thing I said was “we have to start making plays here.” He took it personally. I know it was my mistake. It was my fault because you don’t say anything. But he took it personally and that’s what happened. We argued in the dugout, and everything stayed there.
Silva also explained that his having to compete for a spot in the Cubs’ rotation had him on edge after the “absolutely brutal outing.” Manager Mike Quade doesn’t seem to think the incident was a big deal and Silva seems to be handling it pretty well after the fact, so assuming Ramirez isn’t holding a grudge Carlos Zambrano can reclaim his status as the most likely Cub to throw a punch in the dugout.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)