Mar 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
Francisco Cervelli has been diagnosed with a broken foot and will spend the next four weeks in a walking boot, with Ben Shpigel of the New York Times reporting that 6-8 weeks on the sidelines is “likely.”
Cervelli was slated to back up Russell Martin and according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger the Yankees are not considering using Jorge Posada in that role, which means the door is suddenly wide open for 21-year-old stud prospect Jesus Montero to crack the Opening Day roster.
Montero’s bat is far more MLB-ready than his glove at this point and there are plenty of doubts about whether he’ll be able to handle catching long term even once he develops fully, but an impressive spring could force the Yankees’ hand after he hit .289 with 21 homers and an .870 OPS in 123 games at Triple-A last season and ranked third on Baseball America‘s list of MLB’s top prospects last month behind only Bryce Harper of the Nationals and Mike Trout of the Angels.
Other backup options in Yankees camp are Gustavo Molina, who’s a 29-year-old career minor leaguer, and Austin Romine, who played last season at Double-A as a 21-year-old and ranked 98th on the same Baseball America list. And, of course, the Yankees could always go shopping for another veteran stopgap if they don’t feel like pushing Montero quite yet.
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 25
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 41
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 39
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)