Mar 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EST
Francisco Cervelli has been diagnosed with a broken foot and will spend the next four weeks in a walking boot, with Ben Shpigel of the New York Times reporting that 6-8 weeks on the sidelines is “likely.”
Cervelli was slated to back up Russell Martin and according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger the Yankees are not considering using Jorge Posada in that role, which means the door is suddenly wide open for 21-year-old stud prospect Jesus Montero to crack the Opening Day roster.
Montero’s bat is far more MLB-ready than his glove at this point and there are plenty of doubts about whether he’ll be able to handle catching long term even once he develops fully, but an impressive spring could force the Yankees’ hand after he hit .289 with 21 homers and an .870 OPS in 123 games at Triple-A last season and ranked third on Baseball America‘s list of MLB’s top prospects last month behind only Bryce Harper of the Nationals and Mike Trout of the Angels.
Other backup options in Yankees camp are Gustavo Molina, who’s a 29-year-old career minor leaguer, and Austin Romine, who played last season at Double-A as a 21-year-old and ranked 98th on the same Baseball America list. And, of course, the Yankees could always go shopping for another veteran stopgap if they don’t feel like pushing Montero quite yet.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)