Mar 4, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
Francisco Cervelli has been diagnosed with a broken foot and will spend the next four weeks in a walking boot, with Ben Shpigel of the New York Times reporting that 6-8 weeks on the sidelines is “likely.”
Cervelli was slated to back up Russell Martin and according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger the Yankees are not considering using Jorge Posada in that role, which means the door is suddenly wide open for 21-year-old stud prospect Jesus Montero to crack the Opening Day roster.
Montero’s bat is far more MLB-ready than his glove at this point and there are plenty of doubts about whether he’ll be able to handle catching long term even once he develops fully, but an impressive spring could force the Yankees’ hand after he hit .289 with 21 homers and an .870 OPS in 123 games at Triple-A last season and ranked third on Baseball America‘s list of MLB’s top prospects last month behind only Bryce Harper of the Nationals and Mike Trout of the Angels.
Other backup options in Yankees camp are Gustavo Molina, who’s a 29-year-old career minor leaguer, and Austin Romine, who played last season at Double-A as a 21-year-old and ranked 98th on the same Baseball America list. And, of course, the Yankees could always go shopping for another veteran stopgap if they don’t feel like pushing Montero quite yet.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 0
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)