Kirk Gibson used to walk uphill both ways and the Diamondbacks will too

Mar 4, 2011, 5:50 AM EDT

Colorado Rockies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Kirk Gibson has had enough of the tomfoolery in the Dbacks’ clubhouse, particularly when it comes to cell phones:

Gibson probably would prefer to keep all cellphones out of the clubhouse. Players can use them up to a certain point in the day, as long as they get their work done.

“You’re talking to somebody in the clubhouse, your phone rings and you go to get it, I think it’s rude, Number 1, OK?” Gibson said. “I just don’t like it. I’m from an era where we had no phones to begin with. It just gets to be too much.

I guess Gibson would be totally old school whenever he managed, but he was playing as late as 1995, so this “back in my day” stuff is kind of rich coming from him.

Still, he’s serious about the cell phones thing. When I was at Dbacks camp last Thursday, the Arizona beat writers were talking about how nuts Gibson is about them. But he does seem to have a bit of a sense of humor about it. Before his little press conference, as a joke, a couple of the beat guys collected everyone’s cell phone and put them up on the podium where Gibson was going to speak so they were all right up in his face.

I thought that when Gibson saw them he’d freak. And I was worried about it because my phone was on that pile. I was half-convinced that Gibson would keep it until the end of the semester as a lesson to me.  But he didn’t freak. He may have seethed a bit — I think Gibson is a big seether — but he didn’t freak.

1. paperlions - Mar 4, 2011 at 6:49 AM

I’m with Gibson on this one. Having taught college students, some of whom will answer their phone and talk on it during lecture, and living in a state where talking on the phone while driving is illegal but remains common, I’ve had it with people’s inability to not gab on the phone about nothing all day. Cell phones certainly have their uses, but people can’t draw the line between utility and excess….and let’s face it, most people don’t have many things to say that are so important that they need to be communicated right this minute, most of the things said on a cell phone can go unsaid and the world would be the same.

• ptho16 - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:10 AM

I had a professor in college who if your phone rang during lecture, you had to stand up and sing a song of his choice…feel free to incorporate that.

• BC - Mar 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I like it!

• mcsoxerhoff - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was flying to Tampa and this guy sitting next to me ANSWERED HIS PHONE WHILE THE PLANE WAS ON APPROACH TO LAND.

It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. He also texted for most of the landing process after he got off the phone.

2. BC - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Unless you or your wife or girlfriend are about to have a baby, you have a gravely ill relative, or you’re trying to buy or sell a home, there is patently no reason to have your cellphone on during a business meeting, lecture, or in this case baseball practice. Return your calls during breaks or at the end of the day. Whatever happens will still be there for you in a few hours.

• JBerardi - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM

What’s really weird to me about that kind of behavior is that cell phones make it really easy to not answer your phone. There was a time when if you called someone, and no one picked it up, the phone would just ring… and that’s it. The person would have no idea you called. Now your phone records exactly who called, when, lets them leave a message, lets them text and probably email you, and who even knows else at this point. Basically there’s like an infinite number of features on the things that allow you to ignore them at your convenience. And yet…

3. yankeesfanlen - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM

By the “up” votes, I take it that I am among fellow Luddites-excuse me, have to check Charlie Sheen’s latest tweet, be right back.

4. genericcommenter - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Well, a lot of these players and some commenters are pretty “old school,” too. Who TALKS on a phone? Don’t you guys know phones are for text messaging and facebook/twitter updates? Seriously, I am in school now, and I’ve never seen anyone answer or make a call in class. I have seen a lot of texting and browsing though.

Before you shoot the messenger- I’m pretty old school myself. I’m the only student in any of my classes that doesn’t have an iPhone or equivalent. I don’t talk on the phone much, but I never did, even in the days of rotary phones on the landline.

5. bigharold - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Maybe it’s merely a sign of my age, (and I’m not that old), but I’m with Gibson on this. I frequently wonder how we ever survived as a species, let alone prospered, before the age of cellular communication. Unfortunately my job requires me to be on call 24X7 so I’ve little choice. Frankly, if my job didn’t require it AND pay for the service, I wouldn’t own a cell phone. I’m tired of being tied to it and I hate their insidious presence in our culture.

Now I’m going to take some Geritol and hike up my pants to solar plexus . I’ve got to get ready for my morning nap.

6. IdahoMariner - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM

7. IdahoMariner - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I think it’s fair to expect that people being paid (and being paid a LOT) to do a job actually pay primary attention to that job when they are at work. If there is an emergency, families can do what everyone has always done, before cell phones — call the workplace and say — hey, we have an emergency, can you run out there and get him? Not that hard to do, really, and then maybe these guys could pay a little attention to their well-paid jobs. And, it’s in those moments when you are waiting for your turn to get your BP or take grounders that guys can bond and whatnot, work on being a team.

8. IdahoMariner - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM

sorry about the double post.

9. simplicitymadecomplex - Mar 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Almost every human bean has an opinion on at least one subject/topic/whatever.

For me the telephone has always been in the forefront of my life. For one it is THE telephone and second telephones have been central in my life in that they [or the corporations that own said "utility"] provided me with my livelihood for some 22 years [then I just said goodbye to the corporate world and earning a pay cheque] and the opportunity to see much of our spaceship by allowing me to work overseas in the telephonic/communication industry.

This bit of back story poop is fodder for my real point, or better still, opinion.

The ring [even when silent to all but the user] of any telephone is the most disruptive sound in the known universe to humans.

How disruptive you ask ?

More than half of the known universe would suspend his/her sexual well being to answer the RING of a telephone. More than half will bring his/her cell phone into the can while having a dump just in case the sucker rings.

Sorry, have to run I hear my phone ringing…

Three legends off to Cooperstown