Mar 4, 2011, 10:50 AM EDT
Milton Bradley‘s wife has filed divorce paperwork and accuses the Mariners outfielder of abusing her during their five-year marriage, including a claim that a glass he threw struck her on the head and caused bleeding.
According to RadarOnline.com the incident occurred on New Year’s Eve while the couple was staying at a hotel without their two children. Here’s a Monique Bradley quote taken directly from the divorce document:
Milton cursed and yelled at me for approximately five minutes and then he grabbed a glass from off the coffee table and threw it directly at my head from across the room. The glass shattered on my head and I started to bleed. As soon as Milton saw me bleeding, he started crying and begging me to forgive him. He stated that he lost it and that he would kill himself if I left him. I did not know what to do.
According to the report “hotel security knocked on the hotel room door as she was in the bathroom trying to stop the bleeding, but Milton said there was no problem and Monique didn’t go to the hospital.” She later filed a restraining order that led to Bradley’s arrest on a “criminal threats” charge of which he was eventually cleared and is now requesting legal custody of both children.
Following the arrest in January general manager Jack Zduriencik issued a statement saying that Bradley would remain with the Mariners and “is going to come in and compete for a starting position.” It’ll be interesting to see if yet another incident in a seemingly never-ending list of despicable behaviors finally causes the Mariners to become the eighth team to ditch Bradley in 11 seasons.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)