Milton Bradley accused of abusing wife in divorce papers

Mar 4, 2011, 10:50 AM EST

Milton Bradley sitting

Milton Bradley‘s wife has filed divorce paperwork and accuses the Mariners outfielder of abusing her during their five-year marriage, including a claim that a glass he threw struck her on the head and caused bleeding.

According to RadarOnline.com the incident occurred on New Year’s Eve while the couple was staying at a hotel without their two children. Here’s a Monique Bradley quote taken directly from the divorce document:

Milton cursed and yelled at me for approximately five minutes and then he grabbed a glass from off the coffee table and threw it directly at my head from across the room. The glass shattered on my head and I started to bleed. As soon as Milton saw me bleeding, he started crying and begging me to forgive him. He stated that he lost it and that he would kill himself if I left him. I did not know what to do.

According to the report “hotel security knocked on the hotel room door as she was in the bathroom trying to stop the bleeding, but Milton said there was no problem and Monique didn’t go to the hospital.” She later filed a restraining order that led to Bradley’s arrest on a “criminal threats” charge of which he was eventually cleared and is now requesting legal custody of both children.

Following the arrest in January general manager Jack Zduriencik issued a statement saying that Bradley would remain with the Mariners and “is going to come in and compete for a starting position.” It’ll be interesting to see if yet another incident in a seemingly never-ending list of despicable behaviors finally causes the Mariners to become the eighth team to ditch Bradley in 11 seasons.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Ditch the loser.

2. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Someone made a statement on Bradley vs. Dukes on the Dukes post, kind of comes full circle now, they both suck at being human.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Yup…though we need to remember nothing has been proven in either case—yet, anyway.

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Fair point.

• JBerardi - Mar 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Yeah, so much for that theory.

3. IdahoMariner - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I agree that Milton’s behavior (if true) is reprehensible, and if he is beyond rehabilitation then I would rather he not be on the team I root for. What I find a little sad, I guess, is that I haven’t yet seen anyone suggest that the Tigers ditch Cabrera. The 2009 episode happened during a playoff-clinching series (work-related bad behavior) and involved a physical fight with his pregnant wife. Cabrera has much more than alcohol going on, and, last time I checked, is still in denial that he even has an alcohol problem. The difference between our clamoring for someone to be dumped seems to be dependent on their star-power.

4. trevorb06 - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

That’s like beer being accused of getting you drunk.

“What? No…. No… Beer would never do that… really?”

5. BC - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM

If throwing a glass at her and going on a lunatic rant one time was all he did, he wouldn’t be getting divorced. Clearly some bad stuff going on there. That woman needs to run 100 miles an hour in the opposite direction.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Really? I’m not saying that it’s the only thing going on here—and Bradley’s track record suggests there is much more in play than just this one incident—but it most certainly is a good enough reason for her to get the hell out.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

*there is PROBABLY much more *

• BC - Mar 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I’ll give you the PROBABLY.
        If Milton’s smart (debateable), he gives her the kids and a couple million dollars to go away. Who knows what the heck comes out if he fights it in court?

• JBerardi - Mar 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM

The very first hint of violence is absolutely grounds for divorce. Even the THREAT of violence is, for that matter.

6. xmatt0926x - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

One thing you guys n eed to remember is that once again, for about the 50th time, it’s not that he has anger issues. It’s just that nobody gives him a chance and everyone gangs up on him. Now it’s not just the teammates on every team he’s been on or the everpresent “white man”, it’s his wife too!! I know all this because his best friend Gary Sheffield has said so. Apparently he’s also familiar with the world “disrespecting” him and being against him. I wonder what Albert Belle thinks of all this negativity that you people show towards these fine men?

7. willcoop - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

It is very obvious that he has more than a anger problem. I stood behind him at the grocery store and watched him go nuts on the check out girl because she wasn’t going fast enough for his liking and this was spring training!

8. willcoop - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Hey xmatt, please tell me that you are not a close relative. How is it that people are ganging up on him? He has caused his on problems. Gary Sheffield is does not display perfect credibility himself. He just hasn’t went over the edge like Uncle Milty! Bradley is a ticking time bomb, that has been given how many chances by how many teams?

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I don’t mean to butt in but I took xmatt’s comments as sarcasm. Bradley has said all or alluded to or been corroborated by Sheffield on all these issues. XM, if you were serious, WTF? Are you a relative?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I con-cur68 (hehheh…see what I did there? hehheh What?). It seems to be sarcasm—at least I hope it was.

• pauleee - Mar 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM

If xmatt’s name were Craig he’d be half way to a bar fight by now!

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM

LMAO!

• xmatt0926x - Mar 4, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Mother of all creatures big and small….. If you can’t get that I’m being totally sarcastic then it’s time to get those eyes checked. Come on man!!! Next time a guy named Charlie Sheen asks you to party with him, JUST SAY NO!!!!!!! Actually, say yes, but then allow yourself time to sober up before coming on hardball talk. I dedicate myself to bashing guy’s like Bradley whenever possible and would never defend him. I’d rather make love to Rosanne Barr.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Where did I put Shawn Bradley’s phone number again…?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM

And, I will now be forced to try to perform a self-lobotomy to try to remove the Roseanne Barr image from my memory. Thanks a lot!!!!!

9. aronmantoo - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM

This column is called Hard ball talk, I would rather we talked hard ball then players personal lives, There are two sides to every story, Personally I don’t want to know either side unless there is a box score to read

• Utley's Hair - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Then don’t read the posts that are clearly labeled as such, mmmkay?

10. pisano - Mar 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

It’s so hard to believe, he’s such a credit to the human race.

11. willcoop - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Xmatt, I owe you an apology. You my friend are truly a mans man. Anyone that would throw a shot to Roseane Barr is definitely all man!

12. willcoop - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Hey Utley, we have to give Xmatt a break. He volunteered his services to Rosanne Barr. I want to buy that man a drink

13. cur68 - Mar 5, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Lets buy him some ketamine instead, eh? Induces amnesia and is a powerful sedative/anesthetic. The man will want to forget and sleep for a long, long time, I’ll wager.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4772)
  2. M. Kemp (3778)
  3. M. Cabrera (2950)
  4. J. Kang (2916)
  5. J. Upton (2693)
  1. M. Morse (2647)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2387)
  3. A. Rios (2328)