Pete Rose files for divorce from second wife

Mar 4, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT

Pete Rose

According to the Associated Press, court documents say that MLB’s all-time hit king Pete Rose has filed for divorce from his wife of nearly 27 years. Rose, who turns 70 years old in April, cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split.

Rose and his second wife, Carol, were married in 1984. They started dating when Rose was a member of the Phillies and she was a cheerleader for the Eagles.

According to his court filing, Rose wants to be awarded all memorabilia, including jewelry, he acquired before their marriage. He also wants his wife to pay for her own attorney, but is willing to cover spousal support.

1. cur68 - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM

“You may remember that Rose was very public about his relationship with a much younger woman back in 2009, so I’m going to guess this divorce was a few years in the making.”

Ohh, man. Charlie Hustle, still classy after all these years.

2. largebill - Mar 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Huh, what are the odds? No, seriously, what was the line?

3. jetersusedjersey - Mar 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Wow! Who would have BET that his marriage would end in divorced!

4. hep3 - Mar 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM

There was also the great quote from his first wife:

“The only book he ever read was ‘The Pete Rose Story’.”

5. JBerardi - Mar 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Class. Act.

6. bigharold - Mar 5, 2011 at 7:44 PM

You know aside from providing the opportunity to hurl a few snarky remarks Rose’s way, which some would say is reason enough, is this REALLY baseball news?

7. smokehouse56 - Mar 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Why the hell isn’t this man in the HOF? My God, he has paid for his sins and he is one of the best to ever play the game. He (along with Schmidt & Carlton) turned good teams into great teams, Philly in 1980 & 1983. His only sin was he didn’t get 3000 hits. Oh wait, he got over 4000 hits. More than any other hall of famer. You won’t hear many fans in Cincinnati or Philly bad mouth this man. He was the heart and soul of their great teams in the 70’s and 80’s. He was a winner. Big time. He has rings, lots of ‘em. He played with a passion few others have ever duplicated in major league baseball, if any. And by the way, he wasn’t juiced. I know some will disagree with me and that’s all right. But just look at his records and tell me he doesn’t deserve several rooms at Cooperstown.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Sure, I agree, HOF all the way. But then, so arguably, so was Shoeless Joe. Of the 2 of ‘m, lets go with Joe first. He had it worse and the evidence against him was pretty flimsy.

• smokehouse56 - Mar 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Cur68…I can live with that. I was going to mention Jackson in my rant but than forgot until you reminded me. The HOF, without two of the best hitter ever, isn’t really a HOF. And no, I don’t want it to become a Hall of Shame.

• dondbaseball - Mar 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I don’t know but I will give it a shot…First and foremost baseball has a Character requirement and Pete Rose is the exact opposite of that. #1.Let’s start with the fact he bet on baseball- not once, twice or even 25 times but considerably more. Baseball has a rule against that. #2. He lied about betting on it even when the evidence was over whelming all the while besmirching John Dowd, Bart Giamotti and Fay Vincent’s good names. This continued for 15 years until he wrote a book about it to make a buck. #3. He cheated mightly on his taxes, served jail time. #4. Is so NON Contrite about the gambling he continues to work for a casino.

I can hear the rebuttals now that the hall has many men of poor character in it, but I would be glad to argue that Pete Rose would be the clear #1 scumbag in the hall and it wouldn’t even be close. Even Ty Cobb had more redeeming qualities than Rose.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM

You were winning there dondbaseball till you brought up Cobb. Check out the laundry list of Cobb’s failings as a human being. He’s in the HOF, and yet, of the two guys, I’d rather spend time with Rose (mostly because I likely wouldn’t have to deck Rose for racial slurs uttered at me). If the HOF can stand Cobb, then they ought to give old Pete a break, too. But, bottom line, I really don’t have much time for either dude; but I want Joe Jackson in. He never did anything to deserve what happened to him.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3213)