Mar 4, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, court documents say that MLB’s all-time hit king Pete Rose has filed for divorce from his wife of nearly 27 years. Rose, who turns 70 years old in April, cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split.
Rose and his second wife, Carol, were married in 1984. They started dating when Rose was a member of the Phillies and she was a cheerleader for the Eagles.
According to his court filing, Rose wants to be awarded all memorabilia, including jewelry, he acquired before their marriage. He also wants his wife to pay for her own attorney, but is willing to cover spousal support.
You may remember that Rose was very public about his relationship with a much younger woman back in 2009, so I’m going to guess this divorce was a few years in the making.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 17
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 19
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 30
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)