Mar 4, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
WikiLeaks released State Department documents in which an American diplomat calls Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad “the George Steinbrenner of Iran” regarding what the Associated Press refers to as “the meddling with his country’s national soccer team.”
Naturally the AP went to Steinbrenner’s son and Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner for comment and he called it “a ridiculous comparison” and “obviously very inappropriate.”
Ahmadinejad, who’s a former soccer player, reportedly “used his position to influence the firing of two coaches in a matter of weeks” and has “repeated violations of soccer’s governing body’s rules against political interference.”
As the AP notes, Steinbrenner fired 21 managers in 37 years as Yankees owner and was suspended for two years in the 1980s for allegedly paying a gambler to obtain information about Dave Winfield. In fairness to The Boss, any comparison to Ahmadinejad should probably end right there.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead