Mar 5, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
If you’re like me, you’ve been wondering why Cristian Guzman hasn’t signed a minor league deal with the Royals or something. Here’s the deal.
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, Guzman’s agent Stanley King said the infielder is planning to sit out the first half of the 2011 season due to family issues. King didn’t dismiss the possibility that the two-time All-Star could miss the entire season.
“Hopefully, Cristian will have the family issues sorted out in the next couple of months,” King said via phone.”
King added that Guzman received offers from two unspecified National League teams during the early part of spring training.
Guzman, who turns 33 later this month, was shipped from the Nationals to the Rangers at the trade deadline last season, but batted just .152 over 42 at-bats with Texas and also batted a quad injury. He was not included on the club’s postseason roster.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)