Mar 5, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
If you’re like me, you’ve been wondering why Cristian Guzman hasn’t signed a minor league deal with the Royals or something. Here’s the deal.
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, Guzman’s agent Stanley King said the infielder is planning to sit out the first half of the 2011 season due to family issues. King didn’t dismiss the possibility that the two-time All-Star could miss the entire season.
“Hopefully, Cristian will have the family issues sorted out in the next couple of months,” King said via phone.”
King added that Guzman received offers from two unspecified National League teams during the early part of spring training.
Guzman, who turns 33 later this month, was shipped from the Nationals to the Rangers at the trade deadline last season, but batted just .152 over 42 at-bats with Texas and also batted a quad injury. He was not included on the club’s postseason roster.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 0
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)