Mar 5, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
4:17 PM: Domonic Brown isn’t having the best luck this spring.
After going hitless over his first 15 spring training at-bats, Brown hit a clean single up in the middle in the second inning of this afternoon’s game against the Pirates. However, in the next half inning, John Mayberry Jr. came out to play right field while Brown headed back to the clubhouse with Phillies head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan.
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer mentioned that Brown fouled off a pitch during his at-bat in the second inning and looked down at his hand. It was just speculation at the time, but it turns out he was dead-on. According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Brown is having an X-ray on his right hand.
Many expected the top prospect to grab a hold of the right field job during exhibition action, but just about everything has gone wrong for Brown so far. On the bright side, Ben Francisco had another great day with the bat today, going 2-for-3 with a home run, a double and two runs scored. He’s batting .421 (8-for-19) with two home runs and six RBI over his first six Grapefruit League games.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)