Mar 5, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Mike Piazza told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York this morning that he has considered becoming an owner.
“Would I be interested in possibly getting involved in a group to buy a team? Probably,” Piazza said. “I’ve been thinking about it. I think that would be something that would probably suit my desire, at least, to get into the game. I don’t really see myself on the field all the time, or in the boardroom all the time. But I feel like maybe I can bring certain intangibles to both. And having the credibility of being on the field and also getting to know some of the administrative aspects of the sport would be something I’d be interested in.”
Piazza is in Port St. Lucie today as the hitting coach for Team Italy, who is taking on a team of Mets’ minor leaguers. The 12-time All-Star told Rubin that doesn’t have anything on the forefront as an ownership bid, but indicated that he had been approached by groups interested in purchasing a stake in the Mets.
“I can’t confirm or deny any of that,” he said playfully. “Let’s just say I’ve talked to some people who have interest in getting into the game. It doesn’t cost anything to talk, thank god. At least not yet. Things start with ideas. And you have to dream a little bit, and you just never know. So we’ll see. But as far anything right now — any talks or putting together any groups — no I’m not involved in anything specifically.”
I’m actually rooting for this to happen, even if it isn’t with the Mets. Just close your eyes for a moment and imagine the Murray Chass outrage. It would be pure gold.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (261)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)