Mar 5, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Mike Piazza told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York this morning that he has considered becoming an owner.
“Would I be interested in possibly getting involved in a group to buy a team? Probably,” Piazza said. “I’ve been thinking about it. I think that would be something that would probably suit my desire, at least, to get into the game. I don’t really see myself on the field all the time, or in the boardroom all the time. But I feel like maybe I can bring certain intangibles to both. And having the credibility of being on the field and also getting to know some of the administrative aspects of the sport would be something I’d be interested in.”
Piazza is in Port St. Lucie today as the hitting coach for Team Italy, who is taking on a team of Mets’ minor leaguers. The 12-time All-Star told Rubin that doesn’t have anything on the forefront as an ownership bid, but indicated that he had been approached by groups interested in purchasing a stake in the Mets.
“I can’t confirm or deny any of that,” he said playfully. “Let’s just say I’ve talked to some people who have interest in getting into the game. It doesn’t cost anything to talk, thank god. At least not yet. Things start with ideas. And you have to dream a little bit, and you just never know. So we’ll see. But as far anything right now — any talks or putting together any groups — no I’m not involved in anything specifically.”
I’m actually rooting for this to happen, even if it isn’t with the Mets. Just close your eyes for a moment and imagine the Murray Chass outrage. It would be pure gold.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)