Mike Piazza would like to own a baseball team someday

Mar 5, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

10 METS FAYTOK

Mike Piazza told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York this morning that he has considered becoming an owner.

“Would I be interested in possibly getting involved in a group to buy a team? Probably,” Piazza said. “I’ve been thinking about it. I think that would be something that would probably suit my desire, at least, to get into the game. I don’t really see myself on the field all the time, or in the boardroom all the time. But I feel like maybe I can bring certain intangibles to both. And having the credibility of being on the field and also getting to know some of the administrative aspects of the sport would be something I’d be interested in.”

Piazza is in Port St. Lucie today as the hitting coach for Team Italy, who is taking on a team of Mets’ minor leaguers. The 12-time All-Star told Rubin that doesn’t have anything on the forefront as an ownership bid, but indicated that he had been approached by groups interested in purchasing a stake in the Mets.

“I can’t confirm or deny any of that,” he said playfully. “Let’s just say I’ve talked to some people who have interest in getting into the game. It doesn’t cost anything to talk, thank god. At least not yet. Things start with ideas. And you have to dream a little bit, and you just never know. So we’ll see. But as far anything right now — any talks or putting together any groups — no I’m not involved in anything specifically.”

I’m actually rooting for this to happen, even if it isn’t with the Mets. Just close your eyes for a moment and imagine the Murray Chass outrage. It would be pure gold.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM

The two teams he is most associated with might both come on the block. Get your checkbook ready, PizzaMan.

2. gnyj85 - Mar 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Piazza and Wright are the best things about this generation Mets. Hopefully he gets involved and can win a World Series!

3. Old Gator - Mar 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM

It’s a sultry, lazy Saturday afternoon here in Macondo and I’m feeling pretty lethargic myself, so rather than bothering to Google up the information, doesn’t Piazza come from a big fat rich family with investment banking and/or securities and bond trading bizzies? If so, wouldn’t he be an ideal guy to muscle his way into a sideshow of bunglers and nincompoops and impose both some onfield and fiscal smarts?

He’s no Mark Cuban, of course, but maybe with two teams going on the bock, he could have one and Cuban could take the other?

4. proudlycanadian - Mar 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Why not try a minor league team.? They are a lot cheaper and are less stressful.

• JBerardi - Mar 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM

It worked for Nolan Ryan.

5. henryd3rd - Mar 6, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Yeah, I can see he and Clemens coming together and buying a team. Can one imagine the scene during one of their strategy sessions and Piazza disagrees with Clemens? Don’t pick up that bat Roger. It will never happen; but then again Clemens’ may not even have two nickles to rub together or his freedom once this trial is over?

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline