Mar 6, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Chris Carpenter seems to be making a quick and easy recovery from the left hamstring strain that he suffered in a game last week.
According to Hall of Famer Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Carp threw a light side session off a mound Sunday afternoon in Cardinals camp and reported only mild discomfort in his hammy.
The Cardinals haven’t scheduled a live appearance for him yet and probably won’t until he’s back to feeling 100 percent. He has ample time to get back on track for his Opening Day start on March 31 in St. Louis.
“(The leg) is good enough,” said the Carpenter. ”I just wanted to get up there and throw a little bit. And it was exactly what we needed to do. I’ll be fine. I’ve come back from many, many different things. My arm strength is good.”
The Cardinals need another ace-like performance from Carp this season with Adam Wainwright sidelined by Tommy John surgery. The veteran finished with a 3.22 ERA and 179 strikeouts in 235 innings last year.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 49
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement