Mar 6, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
Chris Carpenter seems to be making a quick and easy recovery from the left hamstring strain that he suffered in a game last week.
According to Hall of Famer Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Carp threw a light side session off a mound Sunday afternoon in Cardinals camp and reported only mild discomfort in his hammy.
The Cardinals haven’t scheduled a live appearance for him yet and probably won’t until he’s back to feeling 100 percent. He has ample time to get back on track for his Opening Day start on March 31 in St. Louis.
“(The leg) is good enough,” said the Carpenter. “I just wanted to get up there and throw a little bit. And it was exactly what we needed to do. I’ll be fine. I’ve come back from many, many different things. My arm strength is good.”
The Cardinals need another ace-like performance from Carp this season with Adam Wainwright sidelined by Tommy John surgery. The veteran finished with a 3.22 ERA and 179 strikeouts in 235 innings last year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)